Real Men Eat Veggies - and other healthy recipes!

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Nothing inherently wrong with a carbohydrate unless you are health and/or weight challenged. DH is a severe diabetic and has to control his carb intake to keep his blood sugar under control.
You still should limit them, imho. Over the long haul, they can hurt you. If you are super active and blessed with a lucky metabolism, you can get away with it. But if your situation changes, now you have to make drastic changes and the clock is ticking

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh, @tortoise I soooooo agree!

The first time we moved down south, someone from church brought us a HUGE black trash bag filled with turnips. I had absolutely no idea what to do with them. But we were determined that since we lived in Georgia, we were going to try all the different foods. So I asked around. Called both my parents and DH's parents and no one had a clue. So I asked the neighbor lady, and I was told that "anything you can do with a potato, you can do with a turnip." So we cut off all the tops and took several nice BIG turnips (I can almost here people laughing at me already.... But wait, the story's not done yet!) and we made mashed turnips into kind of a casserole with loads of cheese. Of course, all the tops were thrown out (now, hush, you Southerners! Just how many potato greens do YOU eat?? We ASKED!) So tops were thrown away, and no one told us that you don't eat the BIG turnips because a) they're FULL of grit and sand, and b) they're BITTER! We tried. We really did. But there just was no way to even begin to pretend that they were edible. And for the rest of the years we lived in GA, we were reminded again and again that we threw away the best part of the turnip.
Nope, I'm NOT a turnip fan...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've been reading through some of these recipes for inspiration. Really makes me miss Sumi... :(

Since it's almost resolution time I thought we'd maybe ease into it a bit.

Last night we had a version of a chicken veggie casserole. Shredded chicken, broccoli, sautéed beech mushrooms, and garlic flavored cauliflower rice. I added some softened cream cheese and shredded cheddar. I put two toasted pieces of a lower carb bread (9 carbs per slice) stirred it all around and baked it until it started browning nicely on top. I topped mine with some Tony Chachere's and lotsa black pepper. DH sprinkled his with habanero dust...yikes! Pretty tasty!

For dessert we tried my version of this:

Keto Peanut Butter Mousse
Sweet and creamy, this low carb peanut butter mousse will help you keep those cravings at bay!
Ingredients
Instructions
  1. In a medium bowl, whip the 1/2 cup of cream until it holds stiff peaks. Set aside.
  2. In another medium bowl, beat together the cream cheese and peanut butter until smooth and creamy. Add the sweetener and vanilla. If your peanut butter is unsalted, add a pinch of salt as well. Beat until smooth.
  3. If your mixture is overly thick, add about 2 tbsp heavy cream to lighten it and beat until combined.
  4. Gently fold in the whipped cream until no streaks remain. Spoon or pipe into little dessert glasses.
  5. Drizzle with a little low carb chocolate sauce, if desired.
At my house recipes are a 'suggestion' not a rule. So, I used about half the peanut butter and more whipped cream and cream cheese. It worked out well. It's a really rich dessert so a little goes a long way!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Most of my recipes come from really good chefs who shared their recipes with the masses :) my homemade sausage recipe, for one! Thanks Alton Brown, lol

I'll have to go look and see what I can come up with... Hmm...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I LOVE me some Alton Brown! And especially glad that google is full of recipes that other folks share - especially when I'm brain dead and don't feel like being creative on my own!

Since DH and I are looking at lower protein options I was kind of surprised when I read today that meats with more fat have less protein. Hello BACON!!!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It does have brown sugar in it, but will often skip the sugar and it's still great. I guess I'm gonna have to go dig it out for you guys.... I have a sleeping baby holding me hostage so not right now! Lol

Calista

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Found some of my old hippie recipe books from the Seventies, including this one:

oats-peas-beans.gif

Used to make these complete-protein waffles all the time, very tasty:

PINTO BEAN-OAT WAFFLES
These just might be the best waffles you've ever eaten...

2 1/4 cups water
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 cup soaked pinto beans (approximately 1/2 cup dry)
1 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
1/2 teaspoon salt
newsletter-waffle-iron.gif
Soak beans several hours or overnight. Drain. Combine and blend all ingredients in a food processor or blender until light and foamy, about 30 seconds. [TIP: if you don't have room for all the water, then mix the batter with half the water and add the other half to your bowl of batter.]

Let stand while waffle iron is heating. The batter thickens on standing. Grease waffle iron (we like the Waring Pro waffle iron, shown here) with a cooking spray or high-quality solid shortening. Bake in hot waffle iron for a full 8 minutes. (Very important!).

Top with fruit and yogurt, bananas and peanut butter, stewed apples, rhubarb sauce, or creamed broccoli and chicken or smoked salmon (my favorite) . Makes 3 to 4 waffles. TIP: Soak extra beans, measure and freeze them for later. The waffles can be made and frozen, too. Just pop them in the microwave or toaster oven.

http://www.plantea.com/oat-bean-waffles.htm

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tonight our desert was 2 pears, peeled, cored and cut in slices. I put them in a sauce pan with a few pats of butter and put on medium low heat. The juice cooked out of them, sweet and yummy. Easy to make, took care of the sweet craving.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Isn't a potato technically a tuber? But, who cares? It looks awesomely delicious. I'll take mine stuffed with barbeque please! After all - it's DH that has the problem, not me, lol! Gimme that tater!