Real Men Eat Veggies - and other healthy recipes!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have been trying to eat healthy lately. Vegetables really help you loose weight. You don't ever get full when eating vegetables.....
you just get tired of eating the crap so you stop. I lost 6 pounds last week.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Erythritol is a naturally-occurring sugar alcohol. I found this information about it:

erythritol is about 60 – 80% as sweet as sucrose (sugar). It is used primarily in chewing gum, baked goods and beverages and occurs naturally in pears, soy sauce, wine, sake, watermelon and grapes.

In fact, erythritol has even been found to exist naturally in human tissues and body fluids.

After much toxicology and clinical studies, erythritol has been found to be safe for consumption as a sugar substitute, even when consumed on a daily basis and in high amounts.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cauliflower is an awesome substitution for mashed potatoes - especially when you can "fix" it up some!

I made the avocado crisps the other day....pretty tasty! But, I didn't cook 'em long enough so they were kinda chewy in the middle which I didn't really mind, but I was going for that "crisp" texture. Also I think they cry out for more seasoning. I put a little cumin and the requested salt - but ended up tossing a little garlic salt on 'em too for a bit more flavor. I'll make 'em again!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My father once told me that God made rutabagas to give turnips something to feel superior about ;) Actually, I've heard that Swedes taste better than turnips.

There is a german dish called Himmel und erde, meaning heaven and earth that is a mixture of mashed potato and apple, but I've read where people will add some turnips to the mix as well.

If you want to grow some root crops as animal feed, try Mangel-Wurzels... a type of beet that can grow to 20 pounds or more, and the animals adore them. Of course, you can eat them too- just pick them a bit smaller and tenderer

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Tortilla soup.

4 cups chicken stock
2 chicken breasts
2 cups diced tomatoes
2 tbls chili powder
1 tbls cumin.
2 tbls onion powder
1 tbls garlic powder
(You can use 1 onion and 2 garlic pieces, but the wife can't do those)
Salt and pepper to taste

Put in slow cooker for 6 hours.
Shred chicken, return to cooker. Low carb says not to, but we added 1 cup of black beans and 1 cup sweet corn. Add the juice of 1 lime.

Cook until everything is hot.

Garnish with sour cream and cheese

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That sounds delish! I've gotta admit that I sometimes add corn to soup too. In the whole great scheme of things a 30carb can of corn in a big ol' batch of soup isn't that bad....and black beans are really healthy and full of fiber. In fact, black beans are one of the carbs that don't raise DH's blood sugar.

Calista

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It took about a decade of marriage before MY husband reached real manhood, then, as he was raised by an Oklahoman mother whose idea of veggies with supper began and ended with wilted iceberg lettuce salad (bacon grease dressing) and green beans boiled for 20 minutes in -- bacon grease. (Picture the expression on my face when I had to choke a serving of each down and pretend politely that I enjoyed it.) While we were dating, I introduced my husband-to-be to salad bars and -- TRUE STORY -- first trip through, he proudly showed me his bowl full of iceberg lettuce, two cherry tomatoes, some carrot shreds, and a cup of thousand island dressing. So I spent years serving variations of broccoli, spinach, squash, Brussels sprouts, healthy lettuces, etc. before he would willingly eat veggies. (Never got over the lack of bacon grease, though.)

Even with his health issues now, we just try to eat a reasonable amount of complex carbs, fish, chicken, lots of veggies, and an array of fruits. Neither of us drinks soda or partakes of junk foods. Okay, I'll admit I serve bacon with waffles, heh.

I will look through my recipes to see if there's something you might be able to use.