Real Men Eat Veggies - and other healthy recipes!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This recipe would be right up DH's alley...he LOVES sausage, and peppers!

Low Carb Sausage and Pepper Soup

• 32 ounces pork sausage
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 10 ounces raw spinach
  • 1 medium green bell pepper
  • 1 can tomatoes with jalapenos
  • 4 cups beef stock
  • 1 teaspoon onion Powder
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, add sausage to the pan.
2. Once the sausage is seared on one side, mix it together to allow it to cook slightly.
3. As the sausage cooks, slice green pepper into pieces. I optionally add 1 jalapeno more because I prefer the spiciness of fresh jalapeno.
4. Add the peppers and stir everything together well. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Add the tomatoes and jalapenos from the can and stir once more.
6. Then, add the spinach on top of everything and place the lid on the pot.
7. Cook until spinach is wilted, about 6-7 minutes.
8. In the mean time, measure out all spices and grab your beef stock to have handy.
9. Once the spinach is wilted, mix it together with the sausage. Then add the spices and mix again. Lastly, add the broth and mix once again.
10. Replace the lid and cook for 30 minutes covered, reducing heat to medium-low.

This makes a total of 6 (1-cup) servings of Low Carb Sausage and Pepper Soup. Each serving comes out to be 597.67 Calories, 50.25g Fats, 6.86g Net Carbs, and 27.03g Protein.

I've gotta say I'd probably cut down on the sausage just to make it a little lower in calories...and/or increase the stock a little which would also dilute the calories a bit.

This is definitely going on my "to try" list!

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
For a snack, I like slicing granny smith apples thin, and putting them on a plate so each one is separate. Sprinkle lightly with cinnamon, and eat.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Does this classify as a veggatable?
IMG_20180209_194553236.jpg

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
This is a subject near and dear to me.

Carbs are everywhere. Fruits, maple syrups, flours, some veggies. There are sweetners and syryps that are low carb, but are often pricey. Potatoes, corn, etc are off the list

My go-to recipes? I make up a lot on the fly. Chopped and saute'd cabbage, cooked with tomato sauce and some added proteins. Grilled pepper and onion dishes.

Lots of almond flour.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
FEM, not arguing, but my interest is piqued. I run with some hard core low carb folks and the "protein is damaging your kidneys " is a hotly debated topic in the medical community. There are two definitions of "keto" depending on the context which helps confuse things more. Some of these folks now have unmedicated A1C levels below 6.

Carbs should be like 20 grams for the day. I have seen dieticians recommend 50 per meal, plus a snack. Not sure what reduced carb means for your family.

This possible diagnosis sounds a little odd. I trust you know what's right.

I do have an awesome low carb snickers bar replacement recipe. :)

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Good carbs? For me, no such thing. Net carb/fiber counts don't translate. Exercise does more. Lolol.

First go-round, dropped 60 pounds, A1C down 4 points. Life got in the way, but on my way back down. Down 20 pounds in 6 months.

Did not realize how much my gardening kept me out of trouble. Lol

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
For whatever reason - maybe because I'm dreaming of gardens - this recipe sounds so good to me! I think I may have one or two pkgs of shredded zucchini in the freezer. Yum!

I've tried a recipe similar to this, but it didn't have mint in it and I used parmesan cheese.... this might be a fun change.

Zucchini Mint and Feta Fritters
Zucchini, mint and feta fritters are the perfect lunch, dinner, side dish or snack in a lunch box.

Calories 80 kcal
Ingredients
  • 5 medium zucchini grated/shredded
  • 1.8 ozs feta cut into cubes
  • 1 handful fresh mint roughly chopped
  • 2 eggs - medium see notes below
  • coconut oil or butter for frying
Metric grams - US measurements
Instructions

1. Grate the zucchini and squeeze out all the excess water.
  2. Add the mint, feta and eggs and stir through.
  3. Heat a frying pan and add fry small batches in coconut oil or butter until golden.
Recipe Notes
  • You may need to add extra eggs depending on how large your zucchinis are to hold the fritters together.
  • I use medium 6-7 inch zucchini, which creates about 1.5 - 2 cups shredded each.