Real Men Eat Veggies - and other healthy recipes!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I know that recipe @tortoise ; it's a favorite around our house. Lately I've been doing this recipe though- it's puffier, more like a regular pancake

KETO COCONUT PANCAKES

¼ cup butter, melted

¼ heavy cream

1 packet stevia (or 2 tsp erythritol)

¼ tsp salt

3 eggs

1/2 tsp vanilla

¼ cup coconut flour

½ tsp baking powder

Makes 7 pancakes. Each pancake:74 cal, 2.2g protein 1.6g carbs, .8 fiber, 6.5g fat

Mix 1st 6 ingredients, then add flour and baking powder until no lumps remain.

Pour 1/4 cup per pancake. Cook about 1 minute on each side until bubbles start to rise and edges are lightly browned.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@tortoise - I will definitely be trying that one. It doesn't look low protein, but it's definitely low carb. I don't think I even have 8 eggs right now, lol. I guess I could always half it.

@Britesea - I've made coconut flour pancakes - and we love them. I think I'll try your recipe cuz it sounds divine!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Does ham beans and cornbread classify as veggies?

IMG_20180210_184740808.jpg

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
mmmmm..... I made a cream reduction sauce with spinach. Poured it over pressure cooked chicken, topped with parmesan and put it under the broiler. It's like Applebee's spinach artichoke dip minus the artichoke and on top of chicken. Served with rice for my high-carbing family. I used homemade Lawry's for seasoning.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
This is a subject near and dear to me.

Carbs are everywhere. Fruits, maple syrups, flours, some veggies. There are sweetners and syryps that are low carb, but are often pricey. Potatoes, corn, etc are off the list

My go-to recipes? I make up a lot on the fly. Chopped and saute'd cabbage, cooked with tomato sauce and some added proteins. Grilled pepper and onion dishes.

Lots of almond flour.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hi FJ!

We do reduced carb routinely around here...it's pretty much second nature. This new restriction on protein is throwing me a bit. Low carb, for a lot of folks, equals high protein. We can't do that anymore....sigh.

DH hasn't seen a nephrologist yet so we're not sure what his limits will be. For now we're just cutting down on protein and trying to gather recipes in anticipation of this new lifestyle.

We love most veggies so hopefully the change won't be overwhelming!

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
FEM, not arguing, but my interest is piqued. I run with some hard core low carb folks and the "protein is damaging your kidneys " is a hotly debated topic in the medical community. There are two definitions of "keto" depending on the context which helps confuse things more. Some of these folks now have unmedicated A1C levels below 6.

Carbs should be like 20 grams for the day. I have seen dieticians recommend 50 per meal, plus a snack. Not sure what reduced carb means for your family.

This possible diagnosis sounds a little odd. I trust you know what's right.

I do have an awesome low carb snickers bar replacement recipe. :)

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
FEM, not arguing, but my interest is piqued. I run with some hard core low carb folks and the "protein is damaging your kidneys " is a hotly debated topic in the medical community. There are two definitions of "keto" depending on the context which helps confuse things more. Some of these folks now have unmedicated A1C levels below 6.

Carbs should be like 20 grams for the day. I have seen dieticians recommend 50 per meal, plus a snack. Not sure what reduced carb means for your family.

This possible diagnosis sounds a little odd. I trust you know what's right.

I do have an awesome low carb snickers bar replacement recipe. :)

It sounds like you have access to some great information there Jamie!
I am now on the D2 lifestyle. But I haven't been able to make the 20 carb per day goal yet.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the fetticini over squash? I need to learn how to make the fetticini from scratch...and use it over something besides noodles...or rice.

Latest posts