recycled wool sweaters

Calliopia

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I LOVE playing with wool sweaters.

I make rugs out of them and blankets. The only thing left over when I'm done are the labels :D

If anybody wants to know how to do standing wool rugs I can try and do a lesson post somewhere but basically you string the nibblets of wool left over onto long strands. Then sew the strands into circles to get yourself started. Then sew a couple circles together and fill in with extra pieces. Keep going until the rug is a size you like.

Betsy

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
So do the sweaters have to be all wool to do all these cool projects? I have a cute sweater I'd love to recycle into something, but am not sure if it's wool or not. I can't give it away, because it has a stain on it and has sentimental value besides. Can't wear it because even though I'm sure I could still get it on, it's a young girls' sweater and I'm in my late 20's.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Calliopia said:
I LOVE playing with wool sweaters.

I make rugs out of them and blankets. The only thing left over when I'm done are the labels :D

If anybody wants to know how to do standing wool rugs I can try and do a lesson post somewhere but basically you string the nibblets of wool left over onto long strands. Then sew the strands into circles to get yourself started. Then sew a couple circles together and fill in with extra pieces. Keep going until the rug is a size you like.
Of course we want a tutorial....with pictures!!! Start a new thread, though, so it doesn't get lost.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Betsy said:
So do the sweaters have to be all wool to do all these cool projects? I have a cute sweater I'd love to recycle into something, but am not sure if it's wool or not. I can't give it away, because it has a stain on it and has sentimental value besides. Can't wear it because even though I'm sure I could still get it on, it's a young girls' sweater and I'm in my late 20's.
Only 100% wool sweaters will shrink up and felt nicely.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
If you have sweaters that are mostly wool (at least 60-70%), they'll also felt. Other natural fibers (like angora) will felt as well. :)

Dirk Chesterfield

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Quilt batting.
Old sweaters as insulation would make for a nice warm quilt.
I would pre-shrink them first though.