Recycling toilet paper tubes

Georgiagirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I cut them down the side and slip them over my clothes hangers so my pants and such dont have a crease in them.
AND make the fire starters. But I usually make 4 out of one roll by cutting the rolls, stuffing in the lint, pouring left over candle wax in it. It is perfect to start our chimena or wood stove.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
A cut worm is a nasty little larval(?) wormy thing that lives in the soil- you plant a seedling and it comes out and chews throughthe stem at ground level- you just find your bright new seedling laying on it's side like a tiny lumberjack felled it. I used to cut the TP cardboard at a couple of inches high and put in around the seedling, pressing it into the soil a little bit. Cut worms don't climb so it protects the seedling til it gets too big for the worm. I wouldn't think it would work to help with anything that climbs like a borer or caterpillar but it does work if you have cut worms.
I wonder if you used something like tanglefoot on it whether it would keep out caterpillars too????
thanks.

Janet&Jim

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
You can use the lint out of the dryer in them, tape the ends and use them for fire starters.
That is a SUPER IDEA Bee. We've got 7 fireplaces in our house.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'll tell you something else you may enjoy, as you have fireplaces. I gather pine cones( the giant hemlock's cones are perfect for this) and place them in plastic bags with potpourri oils, usually a holiday spice scent. I shake them up so the oil is well distributed on all the cones and I let them sit overnight. Then I lay them out on newspaper to dry, blot off extra oil and place in baskets. I can get a cute basket from Dollar General for around $3-$5, or even for a few cents at a yard sale. Wrap a wired, decorative Christmas ribbon around each basket and tie in a bow. Instant holiday decoration, a hearth basket loaded with sweetly scented pine cones that make excellent fire starters. For an added touch, sometimes I'll insert a sprig of evergreen, or some berries, here and there in the basket and sprinkle a little gold or silver sparkle on the cones.

I tell you folks, I made one of these baskets for someone for a gift exchange at work and everyone went ga-ga over it, so I sold a few more for $20 a pop!

mgibbzzz

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We use them for party favors. Either pain or wrap inpaper and fill with candy for the kids. We use leftover pieces of wrapping paper and tie with a bit of ribbon or yarn. When done, they go into the woodburner.

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have cut them down and covered and decorated them for napkin rings. Decorated for placecard holders for holiday/ party tables. My kids used to make finger puppets out of them. DGD once made pilgrims out of them for me. You can make desk organizers also.

Monica

ChickaD

Country Living
Reaction score
Wow, this is too cool! Yesterday I was actually thinking that our family is so frugal that if there were a way to reuse toilet paper tubes, we'd do it...:D not knowing there ARE ways to reuse them, as you've shown! What timing!

Janet&Jim

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
nccountrygirl said:
Beekissed said:
Also, if the toilet paper rolls off the back instead of the front...another pet peeve of mine. :D
It must be a lefty thing but I'm totally opposite. I put it on to roll off the back.
It's jist downright un American to have the paper roll off the bottom(back) :rant :gig