Reducing expenses

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Tortoise, the purpose of buttermilk in the pancake recipe is for the acid in the buttermilk to react with the baking soda, which lightens the batter. If you don't have buttermilk you can use yogurt or kefir. Lacking those, you can add a spoonful of lemon juice or vinegar to fresh milk. All of those will work just fine.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I didn't look carefully enough - he had already made his own pancake dry mix! Yay! Less work for me!

We talked about cutting back our internet service. We might not be able to stream video at that speed. :/ I'm willing to give it a try.

I did apply for my job with a pretty resume. :D I'm assuming they will hire me and have tentative daycare.

I have been working on cooking at night (after 7) and have most parts of meals ready to re-heat during the day. It's .... interesting. Not too promising, but a challenge.

I'm getting stuck again - need to go back and read some of your advice/ideas and see what I've missed.

Reuse-it

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Oh my. Great thread.
Annaraven sent me here. I do almost all of these things, what we can't give up is what we never did in the first place.

I have failed for the last three years in my gardens. It has haunted me. I have always had more than enough to share and get by. I guess not being able to have any confidence in our weather patterns anymore has me shaken.

Insurance is killing us. If we did not have insurance, then everything would work out perfectly.
We have the highest deductable we can have. We can not afford to go to the doctors because of it...but, now a days $10,000 is an emergency room visit. we just have insurance for emergencies.

It is scary.

Calliopia

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Oh that reminds me. Something else people can do to cut expenses is go insurance shopping. I dropped close to 300 off of our yearly house premium by switching.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
tortoise said:
Wannabefree said:
tortoise said:
I don't know what self-rising flour is. Anyone?

I think I'm going to be making pancakes for my son every morning for a while.
For plain flour add a quarter teaspoon of baking soda per cup ;)
How many pancakes does it make?
Depends on how big ya make the cakes. For us it makes about 12 and leftovers freeze well and get put in the toaster later. ;)

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Reuse-it said:
Oh my. Great thread.
Annaraven sent me here. I do almost all of these things, what we can't give up is what we never did in the first place.
Hey - glad you made it. Feel free to post a thread to ask more specific questions too. Everyone here seems pretty helpful and knowledgable.

Reuse-it

Power Conserver
Reaction score
thanks.
I Am still reeling from yesterday's vet and dentist bill. I know I can scrape it from some where. I'll just keep reading. :)
teeth and dogs, we can't do without them.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Well, you could always gum your food, or throw it into a blender and chop it up real small.......:hide