Request: Deep frying recipes, ideas, hints and tips!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
freemotion said:
No! Not suet cakes!!! :lol: Ask for raw suet. It will be a big, lumpy, icky hunk of white fat with icky bits stuck to it. If you can get them to grind it, even better. No one will grind it for me around here....

Then render it down, strain it, and harden the icky bits separately for your hens, they will be eternally grateful and will love you twice as much as they do now!

If you want to make your own bird feeder suet cakes at the same time, get a bag of premium shell free bird seed and a small container of dollar store cayenne pepper. Reserve some of the rendered suet for this. Add the seed and the cayenne to the warm, liquid suet, until it is the texture of oatmeal or wet sawdust. Pour it into (glop it into...) an appropriately sized pan, based on the size of your suet cake feeder, and let it harden in a cool place. The birds will love it and the squirrels don't like the cayenne.
LOL!! I'm so glad I checked in one last time tonight!! I would be deep frying stuff in rendered suet cakes! :sick "I wonder why freemotion thought this tallow gunk was such a great idea?!":lol:

I'll check out my local butcher, I'm sure they can hook me up with the right stuff. :gig

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
big brown horse said:
*bubba gump voice*...deep fried mushroom buttons, deep fried zucchini, deep fried icecream, deep fried stuffed avocados, fried stuffed jalapenos... :drool

I'm so going out to look for suet cakes tomorrow!
I forgot deep fried jalepenos!!
Yup, stuffed with cream cheese and real bacon bits or with cheddar and bacon. :drool

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Thank goodness, BBH, I didn't want you coming back and flaming me!

I am in serious danger of having to get out my fat jeans just reading this thread....thanks everyone!

And please, more recipes, it drives my tastebuds insane to see mentions of stuff and no idea how it is made....like broccoli....it is breaded? Floured? Battered? Just dropped in raw chunks in the hot fat like french fries?

Remember, I a deep fry newbie here. :p

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
For green tomatoes and squash, I slice them thin and put in water, then shake off excess water and roll in cornmeal. The water makes the cornmeal stick and more crispy. I do all the slices and put them on a plate before I start frying them. Salt and EAT!!!!!

Serve with CHICKEN FRIED STEAK. Season tenderized round steak with pepper, garlic, seasoned salt and roll in flour. Dip in bowl of COLD water, then roll in flour again. Fry and EAT!! The cold water makes the crust crunchy.

And of course you must have bread-hot water cornbread. Pour cornmeal in a bowl. Sprinkle with a little salt. Pour in BOILING water to make a semi-thick dough. Patty a big spoon full in your hands, drop in hot grease in iron skillet. Turn over, fry until browned. You can add chopped onions,sugar instead of salt, jalepenos, or whatever you like. So easy to make.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Oh! I forgot about battered fish chunks!
We used to make beer batter.
I have to make them gluten free now, but they are still good.

Nothing like fresh beer battered red salmon :drool

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh yeah, fish! :weee For fish, roll in tabasco or mustard, then in cornmeal. Deep fry. (goes to freezer and sets out baggie of fish fillets) It is also good to soak fish in salt water in the refridgerator overnight before frying. Hmmm...... I soak my chicken in salty water overnight too before frying.

Here in Texas, I honestly think we would eat deep fried bricks. :lol:

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
can i freeze peanut butter fudge drops and deep fry THOSE? would it need a batter?

what kind of batters can you do with almond meal?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Wow, I have a gazillion questions about most of the posts here but it is overwhelming so I will be asking you questions to clarify recipes for me over the next few days.

Grooooooooaaaaaaannnnnn'!!!! I think I died and went to heaven! :lol: