Request: Deep frying recipes, ideas, hints and tips!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
PS: I didn't mail the cd's today! :p Thank you!

I can get hunks of raw suet in almost any grocery store here either in the meat case or more commonly now, in the freezer case. Ask the person at the meat counter or the one stocking. People feed it more in the winter so I'll bet you can get some. Get maybe 5-6 pounds and render it up the way you do lard, strain it, and I let it harden in loaf or cake pans, cut it up, and bag it in ziplocs for the freezer. You could can it like lard, too. I've rendered it for years for soap, but this is my first time frying with it.......why did it take me so long???? Especially with all that teaching and preaching on the wonders of good fat! I guess I was mostly remembering all the splatter and the mess of veg oil frying. Not the case with tallow!! :weee

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Bue Cornmeal Corn Fritters

Ingredients

1/2 pound chorizo sausage....
2 large ears fresh corn
2/3 cup milk
3 large eggs
1/4 cup melted butter
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
1/2 cup unsifted flour
1/2 cup blue cornmeal
1 1/2 teasp. baking powder salt to taste

finely chop chorizo.
in skillet over medium-high heat saute until lightly browned
remove from skillet ...cool
cut corn kernels from cob
in large bowl.... blend all ingredients...
in large skillet or griddle..heat 2 TBSP. TALLOW
drop batter by slightly rounded tablespoonfuls onto griddle
cook corn fritters until lightly brown on both sides
makes 36
serve with either tomatillo chili salsa or salsa of your choice

P.S. these can be deep fried too.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Fried Tater Cakes is one you pan fry. Its mashed potatoes with onions and a little milk. Then fried. They are VERY good.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I have found the MOTHER OF ALL hot wing recipes!! I have tried for YEARS literally to get this little hole in the wall chicken joint in Memphis copied perfectly on their hot wing sauce, and tonight I DID IT!!!!!!!!!! :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate I have been sooooo deprived, for toooooooo long, and now I finally got it right. Here it is for everybody to try if you love hot wings, these are the BEST.

2 pounds chicken wings, cut up leg quarters, whatever
paprika

SAUCE
8 tsp. hot sauce
1/4 cup REAL unsalted butter
2 tbsp. paprika
1 tsp. chilli powder
1/4 tsp ground cumiin
1/8 cup apple cider vinegar

First you deep fry and drain the chicken. The skin has to be crispy. Sprinkle paprika over the chicken. Cook the sauce in a cast iron skillet(yes that's important! :D ) until the butter is melted and it is thoroughly mixed. Pour over the chicken, and serve. If you like you can double the sauce recipe and add in some fresh celery and carrot sticks and cook a bit longer, the fresh veggies are excellent as well.

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Pretty much ditto what everybody else has said :p

Fried pies (sweet for dessert or with meat for main meal) might be easier with an empanada maker - it's a circle with handles - use the bottom to cut the dough circle out, the top has the crinkle things, then you put the dough circle on that, couple tbsp filling in the middle and fold over to make your fried pie! I got mine from Tupperware, and it even came with some recipes.

I've only cooked with veg oil, not real fat, but I just use the "water droplet" in method. I know, not very technical, but it works. I've seen somebody else use a wooden skewer/spoon handle much like the bamboo chopstick method already described. Or I just drop in one french fry or the "corner" of something I'm frying and see if it cooks like it's supposed to or if the oil needs to heat more.

BBuff - gonna have to try deep-fried broccoli :drool
Our local Mom and Pop restaurant here had fried zucchini (breaded) on the buffet this Sunday, and other then being really greasy, they were fabulous.

For frying meats, I use this breading: (again it's not technical)
I pour flour to about 1/4-1/3 way to fill a standing up gallon ziploc bag
if it's for chicken or fish, I fill 1/4ish flour and get to the approx 1/3 mark with corn meal
decent amount of salt (couple tbsp?)
black pepper (1-2 tbsp?)
cayenne pepper (1/2 tbsp?)
Garlic and Onion powder (each 1/2-1 tbsp?)

squish to combine :lol:

Depending on how much time I have, how thick I want the breading, if I feel like it, I usually double-bread the meat. In that case, it goes in the flour mix, then an egg-wash or buttermilk, and back in the flour. If I'm not gonna double-bread, it goes in the liquid then in the flour.

And don't forget doughnuts!!!! And funnel cakes :drool

Ummmm, that's all I can think of at the moment. If I think of anything more, or see more questions I can answer, I'll try. I DO know how frustrating it can be to now have a recipe, but deep-frying has always been something that just comes "by feel" to me. My sis calls me "The Deep Fry Queen" :lol:

sheaviance1

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Gotta add fried grits!!!!! Love them fried in butter, don't know how they would taste fried in anything else.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
*bubba gump voice*...deep fried mushroom buttons, deep fried zucchini, deep fried icecream, deep fried stuffed avocados, fried stuffed jalapenos... :drool

I'm so going out to look for suet cakes tomorrow!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
No! Not suet cakes!!! :lol: Ask for raw suet. It will be a big, lumpy, icky hunk of white fat with icky bits stuck to it. If you can get them to grind it, even better. No one will grind it for me around here....

Then render it down, strain it, and harden the icky bits separately for your hens, they will be eternally grateful and will love you twice as much as they do now!

If you want to make your own bird feeder suet cakes at the same time, get a bag of premium shell free bird seed and a small container of dollar store cayenne pepper. Reserve some of the rendered suet for this. Add the seed and the cayenne to the warm, liquid suet, until it is the texture of oatmeal or wet sawdust. Pour it into (glop it into...) an appropriately sized pan, based on the size of your suet cake feeder, and let it harden in a cool place. The birds will love it and the squirrels don't like the cayenne.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
*bubba gump voice*...deep fried mushroom buttons, deep fried zucchini, deep fried icecream, deep fried stuffed avocados, fried stuffed jalapenos... :drool

I'm so going out to look for suet cakes tomorrow!
I forgot deep fried jalepenos!!