Request: Deep frying recipes, ideas, hints and tips!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I need more ideas. What comes out good? What veggies can be fried unbattered? Battered? How does one make fried pies? Can these be made with meat and used as a main dish?

C'mon, all you Southerners! :p

Could use some tips on determining proper heat of the oil without a thermometer, at least until I get a chance to go buy one....

Free, you need to come to Texas and hang out. :gig For easy fried pies, get some whop biscuits (canned, named for "whopping" them on the counter to pop them open), roll them out, fill with fruit preserves or meats, fold, seal the edges and yup, FRY.

Heat the oil? Use a thermometer? In the kitchen? To cook with? :lol: :lol: Girl, when the grease is rolling or starts to smoke, chunk it in there. It is ready right before it burns.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
As awful as it sounds, I have always wanted to try a deep fried Snickers :drool

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
baymule said:
Heat the oil? Use a thermometer? In the kitchen? To cook with? :lol: :lol: Girl, when the grease is rolling or starts to smoke, chunk it in there. It is ready right before it burns.
Now that's MY kinda cooking instruction!!! :lol:

The local big fair (The Big E) advertised fried butter this year. I really wanted to try some. If it had been fried in tallow, I would've bought a ticket, paid for parking, and gone to the stinkin' fair just for the fried butter!

And, darn it, I made bread today and never thought to fry some of the dough....you wrap a hunk of butter in bread dough for fried butter!!! When you tear open the fried bread, melted butter oozes out.... :drool

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My hush puppies were awesome last night!

Did anybody say potato chips?

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hushpuppies are just thick, seasoned (salt, pepper, whatever you like) cornbread batter with diced onions & bell peppers, shaped into balls & fried.

And corn breading (like on corndogs) is just cornbread batter. You can kick up it however you like, salt, pepper, garlic, paprika, chili, etc. Works for fish, chicken, sausage but I prefer to just wet & dredge in meal or flour. I haven't done that in a while tho...

Matter of fact, most things you want to bread can just be wet with something (milk, egg, beer, water, broth) and then rolled in seasoned flour or cornmeal. Drop in hot oil & cook til they float & are lightly browned.
Okra, tomatoes, squash, zuc, those do very well like that. Onion rings too.
I prefer my tomatoes not breaded tho, just fried til crispy, same with okra. I'm weird tho :p

Chips, just slice em thin, dry well & drop in small batches into hot oil. When they float and get lightly browned at the edges, they're done. Take them out, put them in a strainer & salt/pepper immediately. Potatoes, sweet potatoes (sliced paper thin), really almost any root veggie, turnips, beets, parsnips, bananas (slice these a bit thicker)

Fried mushroommmmmmmssssssss with homemade ranch dressing OMG YUM!
I've never made them, so if somebody posts a recipe, I'll certainly be eternally grateful!