Restoring/rescuing a 100+ year old shed. Am I nuts?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You definitely deserve a rest! After completing the chicken tractor/coop, we took off too! Today it is raining, so another day off. LOL Sometimes you just have to put down what you are doing and be good to yourself. Take a hot bath, get a cool drink, kick back and relax.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just goof off!!! You can look for into on the lovely Wedgewood bowl. It looks like possibly a soup tourine & possibly a lidded one. Very smart looking dish.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I can certainly see why that old tree is giving you fits! It would already be a big undertaking if it was just a pile of junk, but having those roots wrapped around everything just makes it worse. I really do understand! For us here, it was many years worth of wild grape vines. But oh how nice it will be to have chickens in there!!
You've really been working hard. Sometimes you just have to look at the before pictures to see how far you've come!
From this side, it's a lot of fun waiting to see what you'll dig up next! But then, we're not the ones pulling out old bones!:eek:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.. The weather seems to agree with my plan, it's been raining on and off, so the perfect day for not working outside then! ;)

I slept quite long and feel rested today, so I'm going to do some housework instead and look up that dish again… I did some searches, but couldn't find anything like it, or the pattern. So I don't know if that means it's really rare? I sure won't mind if it is! lol

I got an offer of some help with a chain saw for the roots, but I'm really nervous about that, with all the metal and glass and possibly more bones around. I could and did remove as much of it as I could, below the roots, but some things are very much part of the tree now, so impossible to remove. I'll clear up more when I go in there again and see how the situation is and what can be done.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Do that, FEM. You had a busy week yourself. We need to take the chances to rest when we can, especially when the weather gives us an excuse to do so :)

It's sunny here now, but I am not interested in going outside. I'm catching up on other work for now… I want to look for info on the dish later…

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The most I'm gonna do (besides normal feeding and milking) is go outside and pull my chicken tractor to a new spot, go see mom and dad, and stop by my favorite plant nursery. I neeeed some new Aloe Vera plants - mine froze. :( Might see if I can find a blood orange tree and hope it's not too late to plant it. :fl

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I cleaned house, did laundry, did some work online and spent an hour looking at 100's of pics of Wedgwood pieces. I can't find anything with that pattern, never mind the actual dish. I gave up and joined a FB group for antique identification and valuing and posted some pics there. Hopefully someone in the group will recognise it and be able to give me some info...

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Does anyone of you collect bottles and jars?

View attachment 7020

I do - they are cool! The corktop ones are the ones I like. Hang on to that one - it's very cool and unique shaped.

Old hand blown corktop soda bottle.
IMG_20180422_121401815.jpg

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@CrealCritter that's a lovely bottle! I actually found quite a few small bottles with cork tops still in them. I just started tossing them all into a bag, along with everything else "glass". Some of the bottles are really nice shapes, etc.