Restoring/rescuing a 100+ year old shed. Am I nuts?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I'm o.k. A bit sore here and there, but otherwise o.k. I went back and started scratching and yanking some more around the fence wire, took some of the smaller roots out, then decided to figure out what was holding the wire… The roots, had to be the roots. I cut it with a saw after clearing enough of it and the whole lot finally came out :) That was a good feeling!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Neither can I! lol I am so, so tired of this… It's been nearly a month now, since I started? But I stood there and looked around this afternoon and instead of looking at what needs doing still, I looked at how much space I cleared and remembered how it was when I started and I felt good :)

The tree is taking up way too much space in there, so after I cleared the rest of the stuff behind it, I'm going to clean up around and under it as best I can and see how much we can safely remove with a chainsaw. There are some things, remains of a bed frame, stones, some kind of roof sheet, a bottle and other things very much grown into it, which makes it tricky, but I'll see what I can do.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow - time flies when you're having fun...uh...working hard! Really doesn't seem like that long to me - but probably seems longer to you...

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Neither can I! lol I am so, so tired of this… It's been nearly a month now, since I started? But I stood there and looked around this afternoon and instead of looking at what needs doing still, I looked at how much space I cleared and remembered how it was when I started and I felt good :)

The tree is taking up way too much space in there, so after I cleared the rest of the stuff behind it, I'm going to clean up around and under it as best I can and see how much we can safely remove with a chainsaw. There are some things, remains of a bed frame, stones, some kind of roof sheet, a bottle and other things very much grown into it, which makes it tricky, but I'll see what I can do.

Want me to send my black powder wedge - it's a hoot to use. Just make sure you got a long enough fuse to get the heck out of the way - I mean a long ways away... Fully loaded it send bit of stump pretty high in the air and makes a very loud boom too - it's a hoot!

Here's a video of a little baby powder wedge slipping a little log, it only takes little cap full of black powder blah... Mine fully loaded uses 1/4 can and ain't no stump it ain't blown to kindom come yet.

Last edited:

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Bless you! I'm just now recovering from my tennis accident last Saturday where I lost my balance and bounces farther than the ball did :lol: I twisted my right knee and fell with most of my weight on it and my left hand. Ya know you're old when nobody laughs and the all run over and offer to help you up instead. Oh well. I've not missed any work over it either. Glad you're making progress enough to keep your determination up! This really is a great project and I can't wait to see the end result!!!

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Woohoo! You're making great progress. It sounds like you need an ax for those tree roots. Maybe you just need someone talented with wood, like one of those chainsaw artists to come carve that stump into something worth looking at every day. :)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I'd be carving it into some firewood after all the trouble it has caused lol