Restoring/rescuing a 100+ year old shed. Am I nuts?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You are going to beat this tree. It is hanging on for all it's worth, but you're going to beat it. It will be gone, the old shed will be all clean and you will be so proud of your accomplishment.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@CrealCritter I'd love one of those! Heck, I'd take two! lol I don't think my neighbours at the back would thank me though ;)

@Wannabefree :hugs That sounds ouch! Hope you'll recover quick. I'm pretty bruised up here, but I'll live lol And be more careful in future!

@milkmansdaughter that's a thought, but right now I'm just thinking of getting as much firewood off that thing as I can!

@baymule thanks :hugs It's hanging in there, I saw yesterday it's already sprouting new shoots. Can't blame it, it wants to live and grow, but not in that shed, it can't! I looked at the pics I took when I got started and where I am now and I'm proud of the progress. Just got to get through this last bit now :)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I'm making good progress on the area behind the tree, not helped by the narrow space invaded by the inevitable tree roots. I'm slowly cleaning that area as well as under the tree as best I can, trying to clear the bigger roots for when I will hopefully have the loan of a chainsaw again soon :)

Had another spooky incident there :\ I was clearing out rubbish (rusted tins, stones, smaller roots, broken glass and bottles) when I smelled incense. The smell was quite strong and it bothered me a little as I dislike incense. At the same time I saw what I at first thought was smoke, before realising it's my breath going foggy, like it does when it's cold out. Except it wasn't cold out… I got up and looked around for the source of the smell, but couldn't find anything, checked the temperature on my skin, being puzzled by my breath showing like that, but it didn't FEEL cold. In fact it was quite a mild day out. After about a minute it stopped, the smell disappeared and everything returned to "normal". I dug around the spot paying closer attention to see if I can find the source of the smell, but nothing showed up :hu That unnerved me a little bit.

Nardo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm making good progress on the area behind the tree, not helped by the narrow space invaded by the inevitable tree roots. I'm slowly cleaning that area as well as under the tree as best I can, trying to clear the bigger roots for when I will hopefully have the loan of a chainsaw again soon :)

Had another spooky incident there :\ I was clearing out rubbish (rusted tins, stones, smaller roots, broken glass and bottles) when I smelled incense. The smell was quite strong and it bothered me a little as I dislike incense. At the same time I saw what I at first thought was smoke, before realising it's my breath going foggy, like it does when it's cold out. Except it wasn't cold out… I got up and looked around for the source of the smell, but couldn't find anything, checked the temperature on my skin, being puzzled by my breath showing like that, but it didn't FEEL cold. In fact it was quite a mild day out. After about a minute it stopped, the smell disappeared and everything returned to "normal". I dug around the spot paying closer attention to see if I can find the source of the smell, but nothing showed up :hu That unnerved me a little bit.
So first a disclaimer: I'm from New Orleans. Now my reply. Be Careful. Maybe the tree got it's feelings hurt. :huI forget what you were going to use the shed for? Maybe make that use clear and public if you may have any eavesdroppers. Hate to sound like a goof. . .

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
ad another spooky incident there :\ I was clearing out rubbish (rusted tins, stones, smaller roots, broken glass and bottles) when I smelled incense. The smell was quite strong and it bothered me a little as I dislike incense. At the same time I saw what I at first thought was smoke, before realising it's my breath going foggy, like it does when it's cold out. Except it wasn't cold out… I got up and looked around for the source of the smell, but couldn't find anything, checked the temperature on my skin, being puzzled by my breath showing like that, but it didn't FEEL cold. In fact it was quite a mild day out. After about a minute it stopped, the smell disappeared and everything returned to "normal". I dug around the spot paying closer attention to see if I can find the source of the smell, but nothing showed up :hu That unnerved me a little bit.

YIKES!! That gave me goose bumps!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
So first a disclaimer: I'm from New Orleans. Now my reply. Be Careful. Maybe the tree got it's feelings hurt. :huI forget what you were going to use the shed for? Maybe make that use clear and public if you may have any eavesdroppers. Hate to sound like a goof. . .
I plan to use the shed for chicken housing when I'm done. I found a lot of bones in the shed, in fact I found a few more today, including two large jaw bones from what I assume was a horse. I found 2 horse skulls, a goat skull and what I think is a dog skull in there. The first "incident" happened after I found the first skull (horse), but that could be coincidence, I don't know?

I don't feel threatened by this at all, but it's making me a little uncomfortable. I have a healthy respect for paranormal activity, as I know it's not always "friendly", so I'm trying to not encourage it or acknowledge it out there.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
THAT IS SO CREEPY! :th
I'm half "There's a ghost here, that's cool!" and half "It's in my BACKYARD!"

Paranormal things don't generally bother me, but this is In. My. Backyard. Soon to be my chicken coop. I know I'm going to go there every day and check if everything is in place and at it should be and as I left it… And feel a bit stupid for doing so.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I agree with @Nardo Tell the ghost what you are doing and what you are going to use the shed for. Also tell the ghost that you are going to make the shed a nice place, it is welcome to stay, but must behave and not be rude.

Nardo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I plan to use the shed for chicken housing when I'm done. I found a lot of bones in the shed, in fact I found a few more today, including two large jaw bones from what I assume was a horse. I found 2 horse skulls, a goat skull and what I think is a dog skull in there. The first "incident" happened after I found the first skull (horse), but that could be coincidence, I don't know?

I don't feel threatened by this at all, but it's making me a little uncomfortable. I have a healthy respect for paranormal activity, as I know it's not always "friendly", so I'm trying to not acknowledge it out there.
Yes, I've been following (lurking LOL) your progress and noticing all of the bones you've been digging up. One never knows what happened there and, of course, the land owner may not know or speak of it. But I believe that your intentions are good, but maybe not clearly expressed nor understood. "Geez, I sound like a head case", he mutters under his breath.

Latest posts