Restoring/rescuing a 100+ year old shed. Am I nuts?

Nardo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Getting there… I have a massive pile of junk outside now (looking at skips at the moment), but inside I'm winning. If I can blow that tree up now, it'd be great… lol Look at those dang roots! Those things are making things difficult for me in there.

I'm working where the yellow bucket is today, back towards the back wall.

View attachment 7128

View attachment 7129

View attachment 7130

View attachment 7131
I would love to get my hands on some of that old random metal.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So... Back to the original question. Are you nuts? That's a big YES! Lol it is fun to watch, good for you... I would have quit long ago. Like when the ghosts showed up. About then.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
It's hard work, but it's been good for me, this project. And I'm going to have a neat shed/coop at the end of the tunnel… Hopefully without ghosts lol

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I would love to get my hands on some of that old random metal.
There are some neat pieces in the pile, but sadly much of it is so damaged by rust and age.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow! Sumi, you need to go back to your original pictures and compare. It's amazing!! I know that some days it seems endless and gets discouraging, but you've come sooooo far! Fantastic!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@baymule, that is what I keep thinking of, I picture it cleaned up with a roof and window and door, looking good and functional again. I've come a long way since the start when we couldn't get in there easily, for tree branches. I don't have a big area left to clean now, I just need to keep at it and get it done. Yesterday was a miserable day weather wise and I didn't feel like working, so I went to Cashel to go look at the rock. That was pretty cool. Today is sunny and lovely and I need to get my buns out there and back to work.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
After taking a much needed break I headed out there yesterday and tackled the bit behind the tree… Tree. Roots. Growing through fence wire. :th After an hour or more of scratch dirt away, yank, curse, cut, yank, curse, scratch, rinse and repeat I cleared about 1 sq foot :rolleyes: And called it a day.

On a better note, a friend of mine showed pics of the dish I found to an old man he knows a bit that collects antiques, etc. I don't know how reliable the man is, but he was quite exited about the dish and the pattern, which he said is very rare and quite collectable. Which could explain why I failed to find anything like it online and I spent hours searching. He reckons it's worth a bit of money, in spite of the still missing lid. I got told by another friend about a dealer in a town over in Co Kilkenny that should be able to give me more info and possibly a valuation on it. I'm going to head out that way sometime soon and see what they say. If anything, it's a pretty dish and a cool find and I'd be happy to keep it if it's not worth a lot :)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
LOL Go way! That will mean I did all my hard work for free! ;)

I'm really getting there now. Struggling with the fence wire :rolleyes: and tree roots :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: at the back of the stump, but I'm making progress… Just got to get that bit sorted and then go over the whole shed and lower the dirt maybe a few more inches? And Tipperary Chainsaw Massacre that tree stump.

I yanked on a tree root and it suddenly gave. I wasn't quite ready for that and wasn't standing in a good spot, with my bucket right behind me, I landed awkward and hurt my legs. I pulled myself up and carried on working for about an hour. Came in now and decided to examine the damage... I have a largish swollen lump across my shin bone here. It doesn't hurt unless I touch it though. I took a spade to that root ;)

Right now, I'm quite happy to call it a day, but with more than 3 hours of good light left in the day, saying that now… I'll probably go out and tackle the fence wire later.