Restoring/rescuing a 100+ year old shed. Am I nuts?

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I bet the news has already travelled to your landlord! :)

Sooo THAT'S where all the missing pets have been going! I bet she EATS them. Ya just never know about people these days!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Update :) I have a wonderful helper and he's winning with the tree!

IMG_1972.jpg

IMG_1973.jpg

IMG_1974.jpg

The junk grown into the tree is causing problems, as expected, and limits us in what we can safely use to cut it, so the plan for now is to remove the top half and then possibly leave the bottom and kill it. I can use it for something…

The next step, after the tree is out, is the roof, which is kinda essential! lol Then the door and window. I love the space of the shed, now the tree is smaller. It's a lovely size building. This has been a mad project, but looking at it now, I'd say it was worth it :)

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It looks great Sumi, and once you have a roof, it'll really add to your yard. But even better is that sense of accomplishment for a job so well done! You're making that yard useful and the shed will be protection for your animals, and maybe even some of your garden tools.
I remember a yard I cleared out in a rental once. I had to clean out a whole lot of overgrown brambles and trees, but I found a kind of secret terraced garden way back in the corner that had been totally hidden before. That kind of discovery, like your shed just makes the project that much more special. Youre reclaiming something, and the final product will mean sooo much more than it would if you just bought a shed and put it up.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That kind of discovery, like your shed just makes the project that much more special. Youre reclaiming something, and the final product will mean sooo much more than it would if you just bought a shed and put it up.
Absolutely! Sorting out the backyard was great, but the shed is making everything so much more special. It was a wonderful discovery.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Unbelievable! What success. Let's have a picture of the building from outside, so we can then watch when it is roofed and all that. ok? How big does that thing measure? Are there windows? It looks to be at least partially below ground level and that MAY be from all the leaf& composting over the many years it has been hiding.....from all but the trash mongers. :D

Adding roof can be expensive But you could do it in stages. Even frame & cover with a tarp until you can get to the final cover.....this is exciting and it tires me to just THINK about all the work! Believe I need a rest.:rolleyes: