Restoring/rescuing a 100+ year old shed. Am I nuts?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Goodness! I remember when you couldn't even find the shed. What a huge difference!
I know right? It took me 6 months to find the dang thing! :hide :lol:

Well… I'm going to make sure that doesn't happen to anyone again, ever. I had a look at it earlier and am thinking (once the roof and all that is done) of painting it white and the window and door (once in) I'm going to paint a really nice eye catching blue. Like this:

blue.png

The roof we decided is going to be concrete, which is a bit dull, so I thought why not toss some good compost onto it and plant some ground cover plants, have a living roof?

My landlord did tell me the backyard "is yours, do with it what you want to" :D

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I know right? It took me 6 months to find the dang thing! :hide :lol:

Well… I'm going to make sure that doesn't happen to anyone again, ever. I had a look at it earlier and am thinking (once the roof and all that is done) of painting it white and the window and door (once in) I'm going to paint a really nice eye catching blue. Like this:

View attachment 7665

The roof we decided is going to be concrete, which is a bit dull, so I thought why not toss some good compost onto it and plant some ground cover plants, have a living roof?

My landlord did tell me the backyard "is yours, do with it what you want to" :D

Like the living roof idea, let it grow over the sides and down the walls. I don't really like the painting idea though. Let me know when your ready for some vines and I'll send you a big ole box full of poison ivy cuttings. That'll prevent people from using it as a dump again :\

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@CrealCritter I love that idea! lol I'm hoping whoever lives here after me will like the shed and use it for something good. I don't like the grey colour of the shed as it is. It's… ugly. I think some white paint will perk it up some. With a nice blue window and door. Really bold coloured doors is popular here in Ireland. I've seen many country mansions with their front doors painted bright green, blue, red, or other bright colours :)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@CrealCritter I love that idea! lol I'm hoping whoever lives here after me will like the shed and use it for something good. I don't like the grey colour of the shed as it is. It's… ugly. I think some white paint will perk it up some. With a nice blue window and door. Really bold coloured doors is popular here in Ireland. I've seen many country mansions with their front doors painted bright green, blue, red, or other bright colours :)

I'm not much of a fashion bug, so don't mind me...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like the idea of the shed being white and the door/window being a bright color. That blue is pretty and I think it'll "pop" against the white. And, if the roof is "living" it will add color too. Trailing vine and lots of colorful flowers would look awesome!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What a huge difference! What about using an axe to chop the stump out?

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow, Sumi! What a difference! I didn't realize before how big your yard is. I think the shed idea sounds wonderful. I love the idea of a living roof, especially since it will still be solid when you're inside, and you wouldn't have anything living coming down on your head. With the stone walls and concrete roof, you'll have to find a way to incorporate some ventilation in there for chickens.
Do you have many predators there that would be looking for a chicken dinner?

That yard looks amazing even apart from the shed. From the many years of neglect, you've brought out a large, clean workable area, and found not only a slide, and a shed, but a good deal of grit and perseverance too. It really has been fun to watch the entire process. Maybe someday the landlord will consider just selling the place to you. You've put a lot of yourself into this place to make it truly a home rather than just a rental.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
What a huge difference! What about using an axe to chop the stump out?
That's what's happening now. I went and bought another small axe and my new partner in crime is attacking the stump, bit by bit. It's a long, hard process, but it's getting there.