Restoring/rescuing a 100+ year old shed. Am I nuts?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow - the progress from start to now is amazing! The hours you've spent working you patootey off have been worth it! YaY! Can't wait to see the finished product!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Unbelievable! What success. Let's have a picture of the building from outside, so we can then watch when it is roofed and all that. ok? How big does that thing measure? Are there windows? It looks to be at least partially below ground level and that MAY be from all the leaf& composting over the many years it has been hiding.....from all but the trash mongers. :D

Adding roof can be expensive But you could do it in stages. Even frame & cover with a tarp until you can get to the final cover.....this is exciting and it tires me to just THINK about all the work! Believe I need a rest.:rolleyes:
I need to finish moving the junk pile before I can take decent pics of the outside. The ground out there needs lowering, not least outside the doorway. The window is the hole in the wall that we're using to get in and out at the moment lol I still don't know how big it measures… My measuring tape went walkies and I never got round to replacing it.

Sadly, many many hours already went into that mess and we're only this far lol I never thought when I started that it would take 2 months just to get all the junk out of the place.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Time to call your landlord for removal of all the trash? What about burning the stump? You have worked hard on this and have really made a difference. It will make a super nice storage room or chicken coop.

Miss Lydia

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Amazing what you have done there Sumi, good work!!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's one of a kind peice of art. Can you get under it with a backhoe? Pull it all out in one big chunk. I bet you someone would.pay big bucks for that piece of art.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Time to call your landlord for removal of all the trash? What about burning the stump? You have worked hard on this and have really made a difference. It will make a super nice storage room or chicken coop.
We're burying the trash on the borderline of the property to make a "wall" of some sort. Except with the plastic and glass, bottles etc, which I'm taking to the recycling bins.

Burning the stump can work, but there are some restrictions here on what you can burn and where. I think we may be too close to neighbouring houses and the road to get away with it. But that's o.k. I may end up leaving the bottom half in the shed and use it somehow. Unless we can get under it somehow and cut it out… I don't know yet. The bottles and stones and metal that became part of the tree is making it hard to cut.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
It's one of a kind peice of art. Can you get under it with a backhoe? Pull it all out in one big chunk. I bet you someone would.pay big bucks for that piece of art.
Great idea, except I won't get a backhoe into the backyard. I have no road access into the back at all. And the location of the shed makes it hard to get to unless on foot.

Miss Lydia

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
chickens can use what's left of the tree to roost on.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
You can SEE the shed now! The bush and tree in front is gone. We're going to lower the ground in front of and around the side of the shed, fence off the area around to just behind the pile of sticks. My sweet pea bed is to the left here… The plants are tiny still, you can just see them. And the corner of the lawn area to the right. That and the path needs weeding… I'm going to pave the path with stones and concrete in time, once the shed project is done.

IMG_1975.jpg

Excuse the mess… I'm going to clear that up later.

IMG_1976.jpg