Restoring/rescuing a 100+ year old shed. Am I nuts?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
View attachment 7008

Decorate them! Google decorated skulls for more pictures and ideas.

View attachment 7009

View attachment 7010

images

images
I love this!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I'm taking a little break from the shed to rest (yesterday) and work on the garden (today). My wrist and back (I have scoliosis in my lower back) is giving me gripes over the work, but it's o.k. :) A friend popped in yesterday and couldn't believe how far I got in there. That felt good :) I need the chickens confined soon, since I'm planting now, so that is pushing me a little to get this project done. Got to clear out more junk, remove the compost and soil, blow up the tree, get a roof on, window in, door… crap, I have about 3 foot of dirt OUTSIDE the door to move as well… Maybe I'll wait with that part and use the window as "door" for now?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea to take a break - no use injuring yourself to where you can't do anything!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm taking a little break from the shed to rest (yesterday) and work on the garden (today). My wrist and back (I have scoliosis in my lower back) is giving me gripes over the work, but it's o.k. :) A friend popped in yesterday and couldn't believe how far I got in there. That felt good :) I need the chickens confined soon, since I'm planting now, so that is pushing me a little to get this project done. Got to clear out more junk, remove the compost and soil, blow up the tree, get a roof on, window in, door… crap, I have about 3 foot of dirt OUTSIDE the door to move as well… Maybe I'll wait with that part and use the window as "door" for now?

Sounds like you could use my bobcat (skid steer). That's a lot of work to do by hand.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea to take a break - no use injuring yourself to where you can't do anything!
You're right! I'm anxious to get it done, so I can move the hens in there and pen them up, but I have to pace myself too. I wish I had some help, honestly, just to get it done quicker… Between the garden going in and needing them away from the garden, I'm rushed now, but it is what it is. It will get done when it gets done. The roof should go quick, it's just the clearing out and then around the shed, so the hens have a safe area to roam.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Sounds like you could use my bobcat (skid steer). That's a lot of work to do by hand.
It is… That's what is slowing me down so. And the tree roots and junk make it so I can't just go digging in there and taking stuff out, it's an excavation lol But everything out is another thing out! :)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
While I was out there today I snapped a pic of the shed area looking from the future garden… It's an improvement… you can actually SEE the shed now (if you look carefully) ;)

img_20180418_132623(1).jpg

I'm thinking of removing that bush on the left… The mess just behind it is where I'm putting all the rubbish I'm digging out at the moment… (Landlord needs to come collect that when I'm done) Next to that you can just see the remains of the tree through the shed window, then the plant mess next to that… all needs to go. Much of the mess in the foreground, from that plastic container down, is my compost heap and tree branches that needs sawing up, that's easy enough to deal with. I have quite a few branches to saw up, but it's cool. I'm not in a rush with them and it's for next winter's firewood, so worth it