Rifle for beginner

chrissum

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Mackay said:
Now I know just about zip on guns and we have a really nice rifle and a .22 that belong to my husband.

I have always been afraid to shoot a gun and I worry about it bucking my shoulder or something....does that hurt? I am a wuss.

But I am thinking about how to control vermin on the property and wonder if some kind of shotgun is a good choice. I'm thinking shotgun cause I doubt I will every be a right on shot for a single bullet.

I was pretty taken back to learn that at .22 bullet travels for a mile!!!

How far will a shot gun bullet go?
The shotgun will "buck your shoulder" no matter the size, a small shotgun such as the 410 will buck a little while a 12 gague, can kick like a mule! I once saw my aunt shoot a 12 gague down into the river from the banks above and it lifted her right off the ground! As stated earlier the 10/22 has very little kick and is good for kids, shotgun pellet travel can be measured in hundreds of yards verses miles for rifles, a large cal rifle such as a 30-06 can travel up to 3 miles! My preference for coons, possums foxes, etc is the 10/22 just practice with it!
On a side note, I have a black lab "runt" and she is always catching possums that come around!