SALE ALERT - Turkey

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Turkey should start going on sale in the next week or so. OFG already reported a 19 cents/lb sale in her area. If there is a sale in your area on turkey or other stock up item, please post it here.

While we don't all have access to the same stores, there are enough of us scattered throughout the US that an alert my help.

Don't forget to check the web. Weekly sales fliers are posted online for ntl chains. Out here the ads change every Wednesday.

My goal during turkey sale season is to get 12 turkeys. That means once a month throughout the coming year we have a turkey. Often enough to save money eating for days off one bird, but not too often to get sick of it.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
auntie, the mom lady has a smoker.

she's willing to smoke turkeys for others.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I raised my own turkeys this year, and enough for family. It hurts just a bit to know store bought turkeys are on sale so cheap, because it cost me more for just the poult than it does to buy a 20 lb turkey at $.19/lb. :/ But at least I know what mine ate, how much love they got, etc. Still hurts the pocketbook though. :lol:

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I know. It is annoying. Health-wise I would rather have a well cared for pastured turkey. Budget-wise, I have to take what I can get :p

Abi, that's cool. Do you know what she charges or what she would like to trade for her smoking services???

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I know. It is annoying. Health-wise I would rather have a well cared for pastured turkey. Budget-wise, I have to take what I can get :p

Abi, that's cool. Do you know what she charges or what she would like to trade for her smoking services???
The problem for people like us is, budget wise is less a concern than health wise. Almost all turkeys sold from the large companys are injected with a glutenbased substance to keep them brown and large and everything "thanksgiving perfect". Which translates to we can't eat them. However, when they go on sale at places like vitamin cottage (although not for .19 a #) we do tend to buy several :) plus we buy several at regular pricing at the beginning of the season :)

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
you said it WZ... we started this year with 19 turks...and now just have a handful. it was a turkey raising disaster this year.

ok you've thrown down the gauntlet - 12!?!??!? its on, sister

;-)

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Woohoo! Turkey Season! I've got to break out the turkey fryer and refill some propane tanks. I can't wait. :D

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
19 cents a pound?!?!? I have to say I have NEVER seen turkey sell for 19 cents a pound around here. If I did....I'd be buying like 20 at a time and grinding half of them for spaghetti and chilli! We'd be some turkey eating fools at my house!

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
No 19 cents around here. Sometimes they discount the turkey if you buy 100 bucks of stuff....

But still, i'll have to defrost my freezer and rearrange it, just in case.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I do the same thing with corned beef in March. Last year I bought 4. :he what was I thinking. 12 is the magic number.

Turkeys it is. I will start checking my adds.

gina