Saving money has made me bored out of my mind!!!!

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Since I have been very tight with the purse strings, I have found myself home quite a bit. The only reason I left the house before was to go to work, church or shopping. Stopped shopping unless it is absolutely nessecary. Go to work a few times a week. Church only once a week. This leaves my evenings and weekends filled to do nothing but home stuff. Research for school, yard work and housework only occupies so much time. This is very, very boring!!!

Do consider myself somewaht of a homebody. But, this is ridiculous. Can only watch so many movies and TV. What to do?

How does everyone else deal with this?

Reaction score
I put all my money into little stacks and glue googly eyes on them. Then I chase them around the house.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
There are days when I have a hard time fitting everything in that I need/want to complete before dark!

Do you sew or cross stitch or any other kind of craft?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Go shopping. You do not have to buy.

Nicole and I go to the mall some Sundays just to window shop. We enjoy the atmosphere, and if there is a monster sale or deal, I must selectively buy "something"---maybe...LOL

but the key is to go out.

If you know you want to buy something for the future---like a rototiller or some bigger ticket item....go researching. Even if it is not a soon to be purchase, start checking out stores and learn about items.

You can shop, enjoy, change of scenery....all without opening the wallet.

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
Do you have any hobbies? I am teaching myself alot of new things.And believe me-I don't like to spend money! I found a used sewing machine-learning to sew. I have gotten a used book about "how to quilt", and also got information on Ehow about rag quilting, which is what I am doing now. I have learned to bake bread from scratch and freeze it. And just lots of reading, making laundry soap,learning new things to make from this site and others. But there are times I do get bored.:) Thats when I just go sit outside and take a break..or go for a walk. Or if I am REALLY restless...pack up both dogs and take them to the beach for a run!

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Go shopping. You do not have to buy.

Nicole and I go to the mall some Sundays just to window shop. We enjoy the atmosphere, and if there is a monster sale or deal, I must selectively buy "something"---maybe...LOL

but the key is to go out.

If you know you want to buy something for the future---like a rototiller or some bigger ticket item....go researching. Even if it is not a soon to be purchase, start checking out stores and learn about items.

You can shop, enjoy, change of scenery....all without opening the wallet.
I know my limitations. If I go, I wil buy. Can't help myself.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Then don't go shopping. :p

You need to find an outlet. Hobby, lessons of some kind, or friends to hang out with.

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
Yes, every other week end I go to lunch or dinner with friends. When I do go window shopping I only carry $20 with me. But I am usually only dangerous in book stores! When you do get bored like tonight-just call a friend and vent.Then get to work on finding a hobby.....;)

Augustmomx2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Make saving money your hobby :D I have spent waaaay too many hours surfing the web for coupon/sales combos @ the grocery store, ways to save money, etc.

I am taking up knitting...some yarn and needles under $5, its gonna take me forever to learn how to knit ;)

Are there free activities you can do around where you live? I visit free art museums, libraries, etc

It will take some time, but you will get used to it and then it becomes fun!

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Go around your place like you are new there and see if stuff needs a little work to fix/organize it. Everybody's got something that needs done.