Saving money has made me bored out of my mind!!!!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Altho I dont find myself in your situation...mine is more like QA....where does the time go?? How come I didn't get "x x x " done? Just think....the holidays are coming up...maybe start looking for "gifts in a jar" recipes. Several have been listed here, and I am sure you can find more on the internet. "Shop" at goodwill...for baskets...and start makeing gift baskets for family members for the holidays. Maybe surf online for "free samples" I get literally tons in the mail...from tooth paste...to vitamins..shampoos and conditioners...you name it, I have gotten samples of it! You can make smaller "overnight bags" for gifts from these samples as well! Let your imagination run wild...

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I agree with the hobbies ideas. If however you are simply NOT the hobbies type ... start your own "in home business". It will eat up all of your free time and you might even make a little extra money. :)

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I am like QA and Justusnak..... Bored, free time? I do have the occasional moment when it happens but because its occasional I actually enjoy it. LOL
Right this minute all my free time is spent looking into recipes for gift jars. I have my list almost complete and will actually go shop today for what I need. But only after I clean out the fish tank, clean the dog pen, finish the laundry that I finally got started on last night at 8 o'clock, bake my bread and get dinner in the crock pot.
I use to need that shopping experience on a regular basis. When I realized how much money I was spending I forced myself to stop and trust me the withdrawal symptoms were horrible. LOL
I am making my grandson a journal box. I was going to make a journal jar but found a beautiful leather box on sale and switched to a box. I found it while SHOPPING for his journal.
My advice for shopping withdrawal is to shop for 1 needed item within a predetermined price range. Its amazing how much shopping you can do for 1 item when you have a set price in your head that you are willing to pay for that 1 item. Since I drive by a major
shopping mall to and from work shopping for me does not mean extra trips. I can stop
everyday on my way home and check out a different store if I want to, which I dont.
Funny, after years of not shopping, I actually hate it now.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I get super bored alot of times.

Free time nope.

I absolutely get bored with the same barn chores and same house chores.

but again, free time, hardly ever..LOL-LOL

Change of scenery is what helps me. I have to "look" at something different other than a goat's butt, a noisy chicken, stupid cattle or the vacuum cleaner, laundry....
:p

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
free time? bored? i think the last time i was bored was like 5 years ago....

if i had free time i'd sit around a read a magazine.... oh man... that would be heaven.

get more livestock that should keep you busy!

and yep, FC, with the same old same old it can feel like ground hog day - same thing every day but for me thats just a good time to solve all the other problems: where to put the new hatch of turkeys, can get get the basement wall fixed with what i have, if i put X hen in that brooder could i squeeze in one more round of meat chickens......

what about volunteering? there are a lot of people that need help. our local food banks are struggling and the churches that help feed people are drowning. could you apprentice with a local (probably older) farmer that needs help?

maybe i'll try to schedule in some free time. i think i have a tuesday in February open......

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
groundhog day! HA HA HA
yup, that is what it feels like some days cause the usual schedule of feeding etc. never changes...at least so it seems..LOL

I love and hate kidding time. There is always some darn catastrophe on the farm every day....might be little, might be big! Who knows. I guess that is what gets me up in the morning --the thought of "oh I better start checking animals and see what the heck is wrong out there!" :rolleyes:

hey I can meet up with you next February. I might have a day also! :)
(disclaimer--all plans are subject to change real fast in my life)!

Jan/Feb/and a few weeks of March is my "more downtime" after that the year is booked! solid!

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I get super bored alot of times.

Free time nope.

I absolutely get bored with the same barn chores and same house chores.

but again, free time, hardly ever..LOL-LOL

Change of scenery is what helps me. I have to "look" at something different other than a goat's butt, a noisy chicken, stupid cattle or the vacuum cleaner, laundry....
:p
I am more like you. There is plenty to do. Just the same old same old all the time. It use to be nice to go out for a break. I like to see new places and do new things.

Have started to take the dog out more for walks. She's really fat and needs to lose weight. So it is a bonus for both of us.

Need to start getting use to being at home.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Read books!

Learn hobbies like basket weaving, soap making, quilting, beekeeping or others that can pay for themselves when you gift or sell the products.

Volunteering is a great idea! It can take as little/much time as you want and really benefit you and your community.

Start planning what you will do with the saved money. Is it all going for bills, or can you set short- and long-term goals for it? Like a fuel-efficient car, land someday, equipment and materials for a new hobby, etc.

Do you like your job? Can you get more hours at work with the time you are saving shopping?

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Read books!

Learn hobbies like basket weaving, soap making, quilting, beekeeping or others that can pay for themselves when you gift or sell the products.

Volunteering is a great idea! It can take as little/much time as you want and really benefit you and your community.

Start planning what you will do with the saved money. Is it all going for bills, or can you set short- and long-term goals for it? Like a fuel-efficient car, land someday, equipment and materials for a new hobby, etc.

Do you like your job? Can you get more hours at work with the time you are saving shopping?
I substitute teach. Take the jobs when they come. Some weeks work as much as 4 days. Some as little as 1 or none. Have applied for other jobs. Still waiting to here back. The problem is that during a good stretch, I make more than I would anywhere else. Better hours and I actually like teaching.

Right now, I am applying for credential programs.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
I put all my money into little stacks and glue googly eyes on them. Then I chase them around the house.
:lol: :lol: :lol: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TOO FUNNY BD!!!!! Still laughing!!!!! :lol:

We all hike everywhere, its free!