Saving money has made me bored out of my mind!!!!

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
How would you teach self sufficiency to students? That might be an interesting pastime, thinking up a curriculum.

I am not a teacher. I type for a living. This last summer, I taught some kids how to make a rocket stove and cook a meal on it, and tried to show them the benefits of solar, but being used to microwaves, they didn't quite go for that one. And there were no impressiv flames either ! It was too passive.

We also did some canning and dehydrating, learned a bit about gardening (next year we will plant in my newly prepared garden space). I also taught cooking to kids with Asberger's syndrome (high functioning autism).

When you love something you want others to know about it. Do you love the lifestyle yet? When it comes to the point where it isn't something that you HAVE to do, but is what you LOVE to do, I am thinking you won't be as bored anymore.

Perhaps you are not cut out for it -- yet? Perhaps your calling is elsewhere and you are not finding the internal satisfaction and connection with both the earth and our foremothers that others find. Nothing wrong with that. If this is something you are having to do because of circumstances that you have not come to terms with, I can see where it would be boring--or frustrating--or anger-producing.

For me, this is the best thing I have ever done, and the satisfaction I get from doing things by myself and for myself is unmatched this side of childbirth.

Hope you find your way through.

dianer29

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Do you have any good sites that actually do not just collect your info to sell or send garbage emails /spam and send you the sample you have signed up for? I allow a set amount of surfing time to look for freebies /samples and am able to get just a few things . Thank you !

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I don't get bored as much as I get antsy. I like most here, don't have time to get bored. There is always something to do. But I do get tired of the same old thing.
I go to a bookstore when I have a 50/% off coupon and bring a predetermined amount of money.
I go for a drive in my car.
I call a friend/family.
I go to the library and usually come home with a small stack of books to share with the family.
I visit a friend/family.
I go outside and sit in a comfortable chair and just enjoy my surroundings.
I go to the Humane Society and cuddle some cats. I volunteer there.
I go online and play stupid computer games.
I go to the Goodwill outlet store with about $20.00. I usually spend about 2 hours and come home with a shopping cart full of stuff.
I read.
I start a new project or work on one I haven't done in a long time.
I go on the SS forum and get ideas :caf

Dixiedoodle

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Call your local community college and ask for a list of their free/low $$ adult classes. Ours offer everything under the sun-- photography/ floral design/cake decorating/language classes and even beekeeping! It's a great way to meet others who are interested in the same things you are.

Instead of going shopping for new items, make lists and hunt them down at yard sales/thrift/junk/ second hand stores!! The hunt is half the fun...I might go to the same store 10 times before I find what I am looking for...

Have a tea party or a hen party at your house and invite a friend or two.. make cookies/biscotti and serve tea or coffee.. Get dressed up, put fresh arrangements (they don't have to be floral--use what's in your yard/garden/frig) around the house.. bring out your nicest tea cups or best glasses, dessert plates, napkins---even if they are from the junk store and don't match... play some nice music real low and build a fire or burn some candles... Not your style?? ---invite friends to play cards or a board game!!

If you have lots of time and energy---foster a dog and teach him some new tricks/manners/ make him feel loved until he can find a forever home...

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
DianeB said:
Since I have been very tight with the purse strings, I have found myself home quite a bit. The only reason I left the house before was to go to work, church or shopping. Stopped shopping unless it is absolutely nessecary. Go to work a few times a week. Church only once a week. This leaves my evenings and weekends filled to do nothing but home stuff. Research for school, yard work and housework only occupies so much time. This is very, very boring!!!

Do consider myself somewaht of a homebody. But, this is ridiculous. Can only watch so many movies and TV. What to do?

How does everyone else deal with this?
Get involved in your church life. There are probably a number of ministries that need volunteers to help get things done.

Take some Bible studies during the week. Expand your understanding.

Get involved in your community life. Many schools and community centers are looking for volunteers to help tutor, mentor young people, if you have a heart for the young. There are Habitat Houses to help build. If you have a heart for the elderly, volunteer at the local rehab or nursing home. Sometimes just sitting with a shut-in can make a huge difference in their life.

If you have a blessed life, imo you are required to pass the blessings on to others.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I was in a similar position while caregiving my DH. No money, stay at home, etc.
I spent the excess time making homemade Christmas ornaments out of found materials and natural materials from my walks. It was very challenging but I ended up with some real beauties.

I always have projects and papers to sort in my spare time.
I recently taught myself to knit from a youtube video.

I have to say that I am never, ever bored. Ever. Even if we are sitting for hours in the doctors' waiting rooms I make lists; menus, crafts, where I'll hike for the next month, chores list to do before snow, etc. Never bored.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
I put all my money into little stacks and glue googly eyes on them. Then I chase them around the house.
:lol:

Honestly, Diane . . . come over to my house. There is no end to the things that need to be done.

I know what you mean though . . . there was a time in my life when I loved to go to thrift stores to mostly occupy my time, I think. :p I'm so glad those days are over.

For me, it has been sort of like a death by 1,000 tasks. I keep taking on small extra things to do (like keeping sourdough) and before you know it . . . I have no free time anymore! :th

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
Big Daddy said:
I put all my money into little stacks and glue googly eyes on them. Then I chase them around the house.
:lol:

Honestly, Diane . . . come over to my house. There is no end to the things that need to be done.

I know what you mean though . . . there was a time in my life when I loved to go to thrift stores to mostly occupy my time, I think. :p I'm so glad those days are over.

For me, it has been sort of like a death by 1,000 tasks. I keep taking on small extra things to do (like keeping sourdough) and before you know it . . . I have no free time anymore! :th
Its not about having freetime. There is plenty for me to do at home. It is about being stuck at home except for work or church.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I think walking your dog is moving in the right direction. I take walks for a change of pace and some days I nearly have to run out the door, because I need a walk sooooo badly!

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
I think walking your dog is moving in the right direction. I take walks for a change of pace and some days I nearly have to run out the door, because I need a walk sooooo badly!
The only problem with walking my fat little furry friend is that she has to poop everytime I take her out. It is so unpleasant. She's been like this for 11 years. No matter how hard I try to teach her to go at home or wait until she goes outback before we leave, she has to go on the walk. Petsmart is also one of her favorite places to leave a 'gift'. That's why she finds herself home quite often;)

Latest posts