Savingdogs-Saving the chickens

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I finally got a chance to upload some photos today!
1407_adorable_creme_shot.jpg

Here is one of the cremes.

Here is the pallet fencing, although I have to say this is what I accomplished, not what my husband finally finished, what he did is much bigger, but this is what I put up by myself (he just wired it together for me, and then decided how to make it bigger and nicer). But I thought I'd put up the original picture and later show you all the big new one with the plants planted (still working on that part).
1407_original_garden_structure_with_pallets.jpg

and here is the chicks hatched so far (and maybe the only ones)
1407_good_pic_the_first_two.jpg

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
1407_americana_and_sussex.jpg

Here are the older chicks, the "americanas" and speckled sussex, I have 10 total of these girls and one americana cockerel.

And this isn't at Dizzy dog Ranch, but I had to include this one of my granddaughter, taken at my moms on mother's day.
1407_aint_i_funny.jpg

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Here is my nettles soup, made with information learned here and picked right here at Dizzy dog Ranch
1407_p4190468.jpg

1407_ridgies_and_rd_and_b.jpg

And what photo series from here would be complete without a dog photo? this was actually last month, one of these dogs has been adopted (Jake) from left to right these are:
Raider (Trouble's old golden retriever), Dee Dee (my fat but loyal ridgeback), Murphy (the dobieback), Hanna (who is still currently here being fostered but will go to Montana in June) and Bandit our Karelian bear dog of whom I write so much is barely in this picture over to the far right, the black and white one.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Great pictures!!! The fence looks great.

I have no idea what a louse is... But as for the DE dusting. You can do it all of the ways mentioned. Add some to their favorite dusting area. If you can hold them rub some in their feathers, sprinkle in the next boxes etc..

Just be careful because it is not good for humans to breath the dust.

g

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
They sell food grade DE at my farmer's market :D Not a bad price either. I'd guess dust where they bathe??

And hoorah for pictures!!!!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Great pictures!!! The fence looks great.

I have no idea what a louse is... But as for the DE dusting. You can do it all of the ways mentioned. Add some to their favorite dusting area. If you can hold them rub some in their feathers, sprinkle in the next boxes etc..

Just be careful because it is not good for humans to breath the dust.

g
A louse is a single lice ;)

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Hey SD! How are you doing? Did your eye ever turn black?

Thanks for the photos! It's so much fun to see what everyone has going on.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
No black eyes, just huge abrasions. and a bruise on my arm, I guess that is what hit my hand.

Heh, a third chick hatched! the first two wanted to peck it, little devils, so they went out with the "big" chicks. the big chicks were oblivious, they came from a hatchery and were used to being with a zillion chicks.

This third one to hatch is a buff orpington. So my total numbers on the chickens will be

1 1-year old Buff orpington
2 2-year -old russian orloffs
4 2-year -old Rhode island reds
1 1-year old Buff orpington/RIR cross
3 one-year-old Easter eggers
2 Buff orpington/RIR chicks (I already think one cockerel, one pullet
1 Buff orpington chick
5 americana (EE) pullets
1 americana (EE) cockerel
4 speckled sussex pullets

I think this will give me a good group! All the adults are laying almost an egg a day, at least an egg every other day.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
The person who bought my chickens (nicely) told me she found a "louse" on them....she suggested I dust them with something chemical sounding and give them ACV for three days (my remaining birds). There has been some persistent feather loss on one or two, and those were the ones I sold her (except for one RIR). I also have some chickens that are plain old molting so it is hard to tell.

Should I dust them all with my DE? How do you dust a chicken, can anyone tell me? I can't imagine they will be very pleased about it. Hold them up and drop powder on them? Wait until they are roosting at night? I just can't quite picture how you dust chickens. What about if I put a bunch of the DE where they take their dust baths?
I tried to post this earlier, but I guess it got lost somewhere. :/

I would add the DE to their dust baths, I would dust all of the chickens with the DE and thoroughly clean the coop and runs then spray it all down. Back in the day I used a chemical insecticide that we bought at the feed store. I haven't had to do it in a very long time, but I would probably use a different mix that I found online these days. Bird Lice Cure

You will need to repeat treatments and the cleaning in two weeks to be sure you have all of the eggs. :/

If the DE doesn't work you can dust with Sevin powder at that time. Sevin is pretty potent stuff so use with caution.

By the way, love all of the pics. That grand kiddo is a charmer!! :D