Savingdogs-Saving the chickens

Dooley

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You sound like you really need :hugs right now.

A close family member of mine had inner ear problems once, called BPPV and caused by messed up crystals in the inner ear.. She had bad vertigo and all that. It was helped by something called the Epley maneuver. I have no idea if that's applicable in your case, but it did wonders for her.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
Gosh, FF, are we trading at feeling awful?
:/ We must be. At least you are feeling better! :) I am fine ... as long as I don't move my hip or back at all. Going to the bathroom is an event.

Sage dog has been worrying about me. This morning I was moaning around a lot before I got up and he kept visiting me and kissing me. Finally he crawled carefully into my bed and slept along side my leg. When I finally woke up a bit and rolled over there was something in bed with me beside my pillow .... He had brought me his purple teddy bear! :lol:

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Doggie empathy is so sweet, isn't it? That is such a sweet story. He must love you very much. His toy is very special, you know. One of our dogs in particular (Bindi Jo) has huge amounts of empathy and has to lick everyone's wounds (any animal or human) and knows when the people are feeling bad and won't budge from their side. She belonged to a person who actually died at home and I imagine she was a huge comfort. I'm sure she was with her person when he died, she is very traumatized about any separation from my husband (prior owner was male). After having her over three years, she finally feels the same way about me as she does him, but it took a long time!

Sage sounds so cute!!!!!!!!!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
He is learning well from our resident "nurse" dog Cassie. :thumbsup

When she was first brought into the house as a pup my hubby had a knee reconstruction surgery that left him out of action for a LONG time. He spent a lot of his recovery time on his back with her on his stomach getting pets and loves. (So much for no dog's on the furniture. :lol:) She now believes that it is her duty to provide us comfort when we are ill.

She is an able teacher. Last night when I brought home new chicks she is SO happy. She likes to peek over the side of the stock tank that we use for a brooder and watch them and she just wags and smiles! (of course she likes to pull all of their feathers out when they are adults. :/ )

Sage picked up on her excitement and looked in the brooder and BARKED at the chicks. HOW DARE HE!! She set him straight and FAST. When I left they both had the goofy smile and tail wag going. :lol: :lol:

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I just love dogs! :love I guess it shows.

We used to belong to a group called Must Love Dogs.....we are not volunteering with them anymore but still love that name.

I'm having a hard time not peeking at the incubator every few minutes hopefully.......

My other chicks are one week and two weeks old so I think I'll keep any that hatch inside for a day to get bigger and stronger before they go into the chick house. I hope we get at least one hatch. :weee

I haven't gotten my chores done yet. I felt a little weird so went and read a cheap novel instead. I need to go out and sprinkle some water around and plant a few more things, turn over some dirt and clean those hutches. Sigh. I know I'll get energy when I get going but I have been really tired since I fell, not sure why.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
I need to go out and sprinkle some water around
seriously!!?? our swamp is still drying out but wow i'm out there sloggin around in the mud.

as we say around here "easy-pup's it there" baby - make sure you're good to go before launching boldly back in to chores.

good luck with your chicks and stop looking! hee hee hee a watched chick never pops.. or something like that!

:)

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I HEAR them......or one, who knows, but I think I heard two chirp at once. my ear is pressed up to the box but the cheep is high pitched and I'm sure that is what I heard. and I see movement in some of the eggs, the rhode island red ones. I have a little peep window so I can look and not disturb them. :celebrate

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Hopefully you hatch a bunch! Any broody ducks or duck eggs incubating?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Two have hatched so far. I just have the one incubator. I plan to incubate ducks next, I'm saving eggs. This is rather fun!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Still just two, but today is hatch day, not yesterday. Ellie is very faithfully standing guard and making sure no baby squeekie toys make their way out of the box.

Maybe it was too hot and "hatch day" was yesterday? We'll see what happens today I guess.

The person who bought my chickens (nicely) told me she found a "louse" on them....she suggested I dust them with something chemical sounding and give them ACV for three days (my remaining birds). There has been some persistent feather loss on one or two, and those were the ones I sold her (except for one RIR). I also have some chickens that are plain old molting so it is hard to tell.

Should I dust them all with my DE? How do you dust a chicken, can anyone tell me? I can't imagine they will be very pleased about it. Hold them up and drop powder on them? Wait until they are roosting at night? I just can't quite picture how you dust chickens. What about if I put a bunch of the DE where they take their dust baths?