Sawmill

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And I just thought it was stained that way...But, on second thought might actually be harder than fitting the pieces together, lol!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And I just thought it was stained that way...But, on second thought might actually be harder than fitting the pieces together, lol!

You got me taking a second look - pictures can be decieving sometimes. I'm pretty sure those are cut and fitted individual peices because there is no grain that spans more than one piece. Most likely some kind of veneered plywood or other plastic composite man-made material though. Probably punched out like they do steel on a punch press and fitted in some kind of laminate substrate. That's a pretty common manufacturing method nowadays. Heck they might even be injection molded??? But I can almost guarantee it's not solid wood... Manufacturing such a thing by hand and of real wood would be very costly on any scale at all.

If i liked that design I would do it by hand and out of thick real wood but that's just me... You gotta remember my love for woodworking far outweighs my common or financial sense :smack

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
LOL - I had to go back and look and you're so right! The grain doesn't match up on the pieces. That's what you get for having a trained eye. Thanks for pointing that out. :)

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is one of the more spectacular pieces of marquetry I've ever seen- it's a (flat) wall panel from an Italian Renaissance palace
c6a50486c69b1da81220e2cd2d71d2c0.jpg

HomesteaderWife

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@CrealCritter - I just happened by this thread as I have been away from SS for a spell. What kind of sawmill are you working with? We have a Norwood LM29 that built a corn crib, our first home, and much more.

@milkmansdaughter - I saw you were in Alabama? What part?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@CrealCritter - I just happened by this thread as I have been away from SS for a spell. What kind of sawmill are you working with? We have a Norwood LM29 that built a corn crib, our first home, and much more.

How are you doing? it is so good to see you back here!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

I have a woodmizer LT40 and a 1973 melroe bobcat skidsteer to snake logs out of the woods, load the woodmizer and move bunks of lumber around.

I know several folks that own Norwood's and they all like them. Can you tell us more? Maybe post some pictures?

Last edited:

Latest posts