Scared after the Senate passed of the new "Stimulous" package "rant"

Status
Not open for further replies.

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
reinbeau said:
And Obama flat out lied at that press conference the other night. He said there was pork (oh yea, he said earmarks, but he's just parsing words at that point) in the bill. Unbelievable.
So, are you saying there actually is NOT any pork at all? In which case, I would for the first time be thrilled by a lie :)
I'm gone for a week and Reinbeau becomes a staunch Obama supporter. Well whaddya know?! :ep

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
While waiting for someone at the airport, I caught part of a story on TV. They were talking about the 'stimulous' package and they mentioned a medical component. It seems that the federal governmet wants all the medical records tied together so they can oversee personal physicians' advice and prescriptions to patients 'just to make sure the doctors have the best info'. Right. It sounds like the first step in the govt regulating what types of treatments individuals can receive.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The government already regulates what treatments and medications are available to the American people. The central computerization of medical records is to help physicians get the whole picture when they get a new patient to prevent malpractice. I have a son who has multiple problems and sees many, many different doctors. Since he's adopted there are reams of files that I do not have access to. Wouldn't it be nice to go to a doctor to treat Mikey's GI problems and have that doctor know that Mikey has also had surgery for his kidneys, back, bottom, throat, hands and arms? How great it would be to have an anesthesiologist instantly know that Mikey doesn't do well with morphine as an pain med after surgery. What if I wasn't there to tell the doctors all this or if I forget in the rush of an emergency?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
We cannot spend our way out of this financial problem. We need to grow our economy by growing businesses. They will create new jobs here at home and products to sell around the world. Bailing out the "Big Guys" is not he way to help our economy. Many of them are outsourcing jobs and materials to other countries. Small businesses are not doing this. Unfortunately, small business (and the average American) no longer have anyone representing them in Washington.
What about the business tax credits for each new employee a small (or large) business employs? In fact, the only "pork" I have heard about involves tax cuts for businesses. But, I need to look at it all a lot more carefully.

So far:
*aids to states for Medicaid
*tax cuts for families earning less than $200,000 ($500/adult)
*electronic medical records. I work in healthcare. Paper records are seriously wasteful, time consuming and inefficient
*allowing those receiving unemployment to be eligible for Medicaid
*money towards primary and secondary education

So far, so good. Probably we could argue all day and night about what got us here. And probably we would most of us be disgusted to be bailing out Wall Street and maybe even the Big 3 auto. But, as much as it stinks to be here, something has to be done about it. So, let's at least give the guy (and congress) a chance. Doncha just love democracy? :) BTW, the House of Representatives has not yet passed it. So, it's not a done deal quite yet.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
hoosier said:
While waiting for someone at the airport, I caught part of a story on TV. They were talking about the 'stimulous' package and they mentioned a medical component. It seems that the federal governmet wants all the medical records tied together so they can oversee personal physicians' advice and prescriptions to patients 'just to make sure the doctors have the best info'. Right. It sounds like the first step in the govt regulating what types of treatments individuals can receive.
I can seriously understand why this might seem to fit in the realm of conspiracy theories. It's the way I feel about regulation of my backyard chicken flock. But let me tell you, as someone working regularly in people's medical records, it is seriously difficult to know how to treat a patient if you do not have the full picture. The more info that is on paper, the harder it is to move it, and quickly, and get the whole picture. It really stinks to need to do emergency surgery and not know FOR SURE what they are allergic to.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I'm trying to wrap my mind around everything ya'll are saying here, but I can't seem to muddle through what this bill actually means...and having read through this thread and trying to wrap my mind around it has given me a headache...and the unnerving feeling that I need to purchase more seeds.....................

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
BINGO!!!

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
reinbeau said:
And Obama flat out lied at that press conference the other night. He said there was pork (oh yea, he said earmarks, but he's just parsing words at that point) in the bill. Unbelievable.
So, are you saying there actually is NOT any pork at all? In which case, I would for the first time be thrilled by a lie :)
No, I fixed my original post. He said there was no pork and he lied. There's tons of pork.

As someone else said, yes, we need to do something. But what I think we need to do differs hugely with this spendulous bill they're trying to shove down our throats.

First of all I really think the emphasis needs to be taken off the credit markets. They continue to try to make us spend more than we earn with all this emphasis on credit. This is how we got into this mess in the first place - well, one of the ways.

We need to create and keep jobs here in the United States. For United States citizens. We need to take care of our own before we worry about family planning in Mexico (yes, that's in there, Pelosi thinks we can stimulate the economy by making sure there's birth control and abortions available in Mexico. ?????)

There's more, you can find it if you want. My point is I just don't trust them one bit. Obama makes it sound as though we've got to do something now, before we think things through - it's taken us almost 40 years to get into this shape, we need to think long and hard on what needs to be done to get us turned around.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You're right Reinbeau

Take care of us first and fix everyone elses problems later if we are strong enough to help.

Time to screw the world and worry about our own citizens!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.