Scary creature in my garage!!

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My mom puts catfood out on the porch on purpose, for her possum and coons. Once, she looked outside, and ma coon and 5 younguns were lined up on the railing.

My granny used to leave her back door open for her cat to come and go, and after a week of scolding the cat for making doodies all over the house, she discovered a possum hiding under her dresser. :lol:

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ok here goes. I just went down to take a scat picture. And trap #1 was triggered. Red stuff on floor and near trap. Is it blood. Trap # 2 yuck. Contains a large rat. I have a picture but I am sure none of you really want to see it. But what I wonder about is??? What bled and triggered trap # 1???? Was the same rat dumb enough to get injured and the stick his head in the other trap???

Could there be something else down there?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Up date******

I just talked to my husband. he said when he left at 5 am there were two dead rats. One in the bloody area and one in the other trap.. But now there is only one. Ugggggggggggg....
Yes I asked why he did not pick them up, he gave me some excuse related to being late. Yeah right.

What happened to the other dead rat.??? My cats been in the house all day. Did it get up and leave? Do rats eat rats? Is there something bigger down there?

I am so grossed out.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Very interesting. Maybe it wasn't dead, but only mortally injured. Could have crawled off and died somewhere else.

:lol:

I don't know if rats will eat rats or not. That was sort of twisted karma if rat #2 got killed in a trap after eating rat #1. Seems unusual that it could be able to completely eat something its own size. Maybe is comrades came and dragged him off for a proper burial? You know I have heard if you see one rat, there's always more.

Yesterday, i was sitting in my chair and I heard a skritching noise behind me. I knew it had to be a mouse in the dogfood bag. I find evidence that they have been in there sometimes.

I stood up, trying to decide what to do. I've had those things jump at me and run away before. It's alarming. So, after a few seconds, I grabbed the only thing handy--a tape measure--and chunked it at the bag of food. It bounced off the food and bounced off the window and landed on the floor.

I waited several minutes more to give the thing plenty of time to run away before I ventured over. I pulled back the curtain and moved the dog food bag. Lo' and behold, there was a dead mouse under the edge of the dog food bag.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I realize it is far more likely that the dead mouse was already there and a live one ran away. But it is REALLY FUNNY to think I killed the offender with a tape measure.

Cassandra

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hey Cas give your self credit where credit is due. You got some arm there slugger. Tape measures are pretty heavy. ;)

Who knows about the rats. I guess I needd some more traps. I'll probably find the dead one somewhere. Lucky me.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
EWWWWwwww
so they were big old rats
hey, get them all...you keep trapping!!

nah, not a PET possum...I haven't named him yet....but I have to say when I cornerd him on the porch and bent down to pet him and heard that HISSSssss they do.......well that was enough for me.

But I am letting him live, so that is a big plus from my usual angle...LOL--usually I dispatch all varmints but he seems like he isn't truly doing any harm and he stays OUTSIDE......did you collect that rent from those rats yet?
:gig

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Oh ugh, I know the feeling. We have a squirrel that likes to get into our garden shed and wait for me to open the door. Then it scurries around the rafters, freaking out, and finally takes off through some secret opening. Meanwhile, I stand there shaking, with my heart pounding. I forget every single morning. The silly thing is doing this to me on purpose.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that squirrel is taunting you...BOO! it wants to make you scurry..HA HA

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
that squirrel is taunting you...BOO! it wants to make you scurry..HA HA
It usually works! I really ought to name it. My neighbors have caught me talking to it more than once. :/