Scenario

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I'd help the ones that I could, and be prepared to defend what I had if it became needed.

However, in your scenario of living in an area "where there are thousands of people who didn't.", it would be tough to defend anything if it came down to it. My family would not have the resources or manpower to defend our little patch in such a case.

That is one reason that we live in an area that is over a full tank of gas from any major population area. It would be tough for a rabble mob of any size to get here, and even harder for them to leave if they did. ;)

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
RTRChick said:
Alright let's say some disaster happens. You've been smart and stocking up on supplies for months before hand, but you live in an area where there are thousands of people who didn't. These people know there are farms out in the country and are starting to get very hungry. How would you protect what you have from someone else taking it?
There are so many what ifs and variables to this scenario. I may be really optimistic but I like to think along the lines of that there really isn't that much to worry about.

The ones that aren't prepared will not be likely to look outside their immediate area for food. Also they will be out of gas and will not walk that far. They will probably finish each other off or succumb to disease, the elements, and starvation.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I don't think that people would walk toward the country (sounds like you are talking city/suburban dwellers). Imagine you are cold/hot hungry, scared, no/limited car/gas...I think the natural instinct would be to head into the city not out into the unknown toward the country....the perception would be less people, more exposure,less possibility for help.

That said, I think it is wise for those of us who think along the lines of potential serious SHTF (**** hitting the fan) to not market the fact that we have extra stores on hand. Of course I would band together with my family and we would all work together but aside from that, if others tried to push their way in.....guns would be drawn.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Head for the mountains, hide out with my family, live off the land as much as possible and learn to live, or learn to die well.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We live several miles from town, however there are people around us..that dont farm, or raise food of any kind. We are building our animal enclosures with this in mind. The new coop....12 x 30...has hardware cloth over the windows...with good heavily nailed frames over it. The entry door is steel, with locks. The fencing is 8 ft high chainlink....and topped. There is a monitor in there...( altho if there is no electricity it wont work untill we go solar) We can see the coop from the front of the house...and can see if there is movement inside. I am in the process of makeing a sign...." if your hungry, ask.....if you steal..I shoot."
Then under it will be another sign... " MY coop...MY rules" The garden is close to the house...and I cann everything I can get my hands on( meat included) We have a basement...storeing root veggies and apples is not a problem. See, im not from around here...( Indiana) and several people have "labled" me.. " the crazy chicken lady" They know I will shoot to protect what I have. At first I was insulted with the lable....now..im sorta glad I have it...word gets around fast in a small town..they know..I mean business....but they still come to buy my eggs..and chickens!! :p

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
justusnak said:
We live several miles from town, however there are people around us..that dont farm, or raise food of any kind. We are building our animal enclosures with this in mind. The new coop....12 x 30...has hardware cloth over the windows...with good heavily nailed frames over it. The entry door is steel, with locks. The fencing is 8 ft high chainlink....and topped. There is a monitor in there...( altho if there is no electricity it wont work untill we go solar) We can see the coop from the front of the house...and can see if there is movement inside. I am in the process of makeing a sign...." if your hungry, ask.....if you steal..I shoot."
Then under it will be another sign... " MY coop...MY rules" The garden is close to the house...and I cann everything I can get my hands on( meat included) We have a basement...storeing root veggies and apples is not a problem. See, im not from around here...( Indiana) and several people have "labled" me.. " the crazy chicken lady" They know I will shoot to protect what I have. At first I was insulted with the lable....now..im sorta glad I have it...word gets around fast in a small town..they know..I mean business....but they still come to buy my eggs..and chickens!! :p
Maybe just knowing that you're the "crazy chicken lady" will be enough. :lol: We have a sign on our shop barn that reads "Trespassers will be shot. Survivors will be shot again."

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
we have an emergency plan for just such incidents. 2 of my brothers are coming to my place and bringing all their stuff. all of us are hunters and fishermen with lots of rivers creeks and lakes nearby. one of my brothers is on a professional marksmanship team and can shoot the eyes out of a gnat at 600 yards, but we are all excellent shots so we will take turns on watch/patrol to provide security for animals and food. of course the area i live in most folks are fairly self sufficient and most people look out for one another so any outsiders would not stand a chance and may become dinner for the coyotes. I would advise most people to discuss this with their family and have a plan who knows we may have to implement the plans someday and like fire drills it pays to be ready.

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hey firem3!!! I'm from bama too! nice to meet ya.