Scenario

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
As I posted earlier, folks must have a plan. We have one and it has been discussed again just recently. It will be to late when things go haywire and youre playing catch-up. I guess its the fireman in me to have a plan for disasters, civil disturbances, food shortage, illness, etc. I hope to God we never have to implement our action plan but if needed we know where to meet and what to bring.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Head for the mountains, hide out with my family, live off the land as much as possible and learn to live, or learn to die well.
My plan is very similar to yours, Beekissed! I think that is the main reason I don't worry about it a whole lot.

I do have a small amount of provisions stored up for emergencies. But if things got THAT bad--to the point where everyone was forced to be self-sufficient indefinitely--I would take as many of my family as wanted to go and high-tail it out to remote regions where we would live off the land.

The prospect of doing this doesn't concern me in the least. I'm pretty confident in my ability to carve a shelter out of the side of a hill and live off roots & berries (or whatever is available.) I'm lucky to live in a part of the country that is loaded with good consumable natural resources. Let the scavengers have the spoils. A hunter need never be hungry.

Cassandra

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I sure don't worry about "what ifs"
you can lose your everyday life doing that....

what ifs are bad enough about real stuff that might happen...forget total disaster things!

SS people are well ahead of others. for that I know I am as prepared as I can be

head to the mts. and hide....nope, only cause what happens, will happen.....I will hold strong at my home! Home, if it ain't that why bother fighting for it..LOL

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
head to the mts. and hide....nope, only cause what happens, will happen.....I will hold strong at my home! Home, if it ain't that why bother fighting for it..LOL
Too true! Just thought I should add that place where we'd go off to is some family land of ours that has 0 population for miles (except for a couple of my uncles) and would have way, way more resources than the place I'm paying a mortgage on. We'll be going where the grub is. LOL

Cassandra

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
back up property land....you couldn't do better! :)
every one "like us" should be that fortunate
I hear ya! :)

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i guess I could always use the neighbors grill to burn my paper plates ;)
(I live in an apt)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Honestly, if 'what to do with used paper plates' is really a significant worry, I do not think you're having an emergency situation.

I mean, really ;)

Pat

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
disposal of trash is actually important if services do shut down. If water is not truly available, and drinking is more important than washing dishes, then paper plates are a value...and need disposal...hence, the match..LOL

it isn't just plates we have to dispose of, remember in NYC when the garbage guys went on strike. yikes...PU too..LOL

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Well, garbage disposal is certainly a problem in cities, if services shut down, yes. Paper plates though are not really so much garbage, though, unless you've been eating something really messy like chili on 'em. Also most people on this list do not live in cities.

Really. Unless you are in a third floor apartment at Main and 32nd street or wherever, you just let the clean paper stuff pile up (it isn't hurting anything), and any that has enough food waste that you worry about flies or vermin, you compost it, with a shovel of dirt over it if it seems desirable.

Bigger problem would be disposing of things like chicken skin, bones, nonedible internal organs.... but frankly, that is not likely to be a problem either, because a) if things are tight you will be EATING your chicken skin and making SOUP from your bones (after being boiled for a long time, they don't spoil so much) plus which there will be hungry dogs etc to which you may be wantin' to feed 'em. Whatever remains, dig a hole and compost 'em, just not right near the well.

City folks face different concerns, but still, paper plate disposal is not really one of 'em ;)

JMHO,

Pat, who does not own paper plates and never will, because I am a firm believer that sensible rinsing -- or even just licking and wiping, if water is tight -- are plenty fine cleaning measures when need be.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
patandchickens said:

Really. Unless you are in a third floor apartment at Main and 32nd street or wherever...
If you live on the third floor, it's not really a problem for you at all, just the fellow who lives on the 1st floor. :D

patandchickens said:
Pat, who does not own paper plates and never will, because I am a firm believer that sensible rinsing -- or even just licking and wiping, if water is tight -- are plenty fine cleaning measures when need be.
Mark, who completely believes in paper plates, because I am a firm believer in scraping and erasing. :lol: