Scented vinegar for laundry

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for this Marianne! My MIL was over on Thanksgiving and had just told me about the fabric softener recipe. I had been just using straight vinegar. I'm going to try the orange oil idea - love citrus scented stuff!

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yay, added vineger and oranges/lemons, and conditioner to my go-to-town list!

Also when you said a jug of vineger and add the peels.... what size jug do you get?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am definitely going to do this, tomorrow. LOL So, as for how much you add to the wash, just fill the little cup thingy like you would store bought stuff?? I just got 2 gallons of white vinegar from my step dad, mom had bought it and never used it, and it has been sitting there for 3 yrs since she passed and I have a bag of "older" oranges, donated with a truckload of pumpkins! SWEET!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I always get the gallon size. In my area, it costs just a bit more than a half gallon.

I was lucky as I had a couple quart jars packed w/ orange peels and I added the vinegar to it. Those jars have been sitting for a couple of months, anyway, so it was really concentrated. I just poured some of that into the gallon jug I had opened already. The gallon jug was probably 3/4 full of vinegar.

I'm sure there is no 'real' formula for this. If you do the peels in another jar or two, you'll always have some ready to add to the bigger jug of vinegar. And you can easily add more orange to it easily.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Do you just put the peels in and fill with vinager, and put a lid and ring on, or...

Do you need to water bath or anything? Sorry for all the questions!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Questions are fine!

No waterbath or anything. Just put a lid on it and put it on a shelf somewhere for a while. I used two mayo jars with the plastic lids for mine. Stuffed a bunch of orange peels in one, then added white vinegar until it was full. Then did another jar, adding the peels as I ate the oranges.

But at that time, I was going to make orange oil cleaner, like I said, it's pretty concentrated. Did work out pretty slick to pour some into the gallon jug for fabric softener.

I still haven't tried the other recipe. So far, I really like the orange vinegar.