Scented vinegar for laundry

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
A lot of us use vinegar for fabric softener replacement. I know I was shocked at how well it worked.

I never thought about scenting it until I found this elsewhere the other day:

3 C. Vinegar
2 C. Cheap hair conditioner (smell you like)
6 C. water
Mix together in an old fabric softener jug and use as you would in your washer. If you like you can use it to make your own dryer sheets. Cut up an old Tshirt and pour the softener onto the rag and toss in the dryer with wet clothes.

AND

I use one whole jug of vinegar and I peel the rind off of two huge oranges. I love that smell of citrus. You cut into strips to tuck in jug and then I set it aside for two weeks. This is fantastic stuff. I use it straight in my front loader. Nice and fresh. If you like grapefruit better give it a try. Then eat the oranges as a snack. No waste..

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow.... thanks for the tip. Question for you do you use white vinegar or apple vineagar?

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think most of us use white vinegar. Sooo cheap when you buy the private label brand by the gallon.

For some reason, I keep thinking that some people use essential oils or even herbs in their's...but I have a brain cloud right now. I think I need to defrag. :D

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have two quarts of homemade orange oil cleaner that's just vinegar and a lot of orange peels. I love the simple stuff!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ya know it is funny Marianne cause I use mostly natural cleaners I make myself, and OFTEN said I wish there was a scent, but FOR SOME reason never went further LOL

you opened up a new can of worms for me :lol:

thanks

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
D'OH!!!! I just washed clothes this morning, wished I'd read this post first! Pooh!! :/

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey 2bz
don't worry, that next load is just a day away :gig