SCOOOOOOOORRRRRRRE!!!!!!!!!! Free feed!!!!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Congrats!!

Here in Seattle a cafe just advertised on CL to get rid of thier vegan cooking scraps. :p I would have taken them up on the offer except it is an hour out of my way, and I couldn't commit on a weekly basis. Especially since I don't have a piggy anymore, just 9 chickens and a few ducks.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Congrats!!

Here in Seattle a cafe just advertised on CL to get rid of thier vegan cooking scraps. :p I would have taken them up on the offer except it is an hour out of my way, and I couldn't commit on a weekly basis. Especially since I don't have a piggy anymore, just 9 chickens and a few ducks.
You could always get another pig --KIDDING!!!!!!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
It is organic red wheat berries from Walton. Properly sealed pails with oxygen absorbers. We are unloading 38 now and going back for more.

He didn't list it, but he is also giving me many boxes of stuff like pancake mix and powdered milk and who knows what else....the score is even bigger!

Gotta run before I'm caught on the computer instead of working! :p

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Two of the boxes contain those large cans (think industrial cans of tomatoes from Costco) of sugar! 12 cans! That is more than enough to cover my wine making for the year!!!! That is the biggest expense, other than the corks, in some of my wines. Like the raspberry and elderberry, instead of 27 cents a bottle, it will now cost about 3 cents a bottle, before buying corks.

Can you imagine????? :p

Total pails, 55. We haven't unloaded the boxes of cans yet, and I have no idea how many there are. Lots. We filled my dad's car just with boxes (we ended up not renting a truck after all, just took two trips with two cars at about $50 in gas at the most) and put more boxes in our car after filling it with pails. We had to re-arrange things a bit so rearview mirrors could be used, to give you an idea of how full the cars were on each trip.

:weee

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Total boxes (each with six of those big cans): 38 plus two loose cans. Many of the boxes contain powdered milk and pancake or biscuit mix. Several contain wheat products, some more wheat berries, cracked wheat (chick food!) and some whole wheat flour. A few contain pudding mix and apple sauce (dehydrated) and dehydrated apples with lots of sulphites.

I'd be dead in a month if I had to live on what is in the boxes! I plan on feeding it to the pigs fairly quickly so it will be out of their systems long before they go to freezer camp. I left behind some weird orange drink mix and a pail of dehydrated hydrogenated shortening.....how creepy is that???

The two boxes of sugar alone will save us a bit over $30, based on what we pay at the discount grocery store.

I hugged the stack of boxes today and said, "Welcome home, bacon!" :D

Anyone have any good uses for those big cans once they are empty? I have two that I use as feed scoops and I've had the same two for many years! :p