ScottyG and some random thoughts

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
ScottyG said:
Quail_Antwerp said:
OH OH The Dark Crystal!! I completely forgot about that movie!!

I managed to get my hands on it for FREE! Of course, it is on VHS, but who cares!
I don't have a VHS player anymore. Sometimes I think it'd be nice to have one for that reason.... you can get cheap (or free! nice score!) VHS tapes almost anywhere.

And yay for the Dark Crystal!!!

"Wings? I don't have wings!"
"Of course not, you're a boy."
Is that not just the best line in the whole movie?!

We still have a VHS player, too many of the kids' favorite movies on VHS to toss it LOL

And how neat! You and your wife being sorta hippies! I think it is great you make a conscious effort to do what is good for the earth, your family, your neighbors, etc! Kudos to you!

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ScottyG said:
Duh! :D

----------------------

I just want you to know that I did just now go listen to some Bjork on google video.

And bravo to you for making sacrifices for your dreams!

Cassandra

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
your living the way you want. best present you can give yourself in this life! you don't sound snooty to me at all.....you are one of us SS people!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
ScottyG said:
Quail_Antwerp said:
OH OH The Dark Crystal!! I completely forgot about that movie!!

I managed to get my hands on it for FREE! Of course, it is on VHS, but who cares!
I don't have a VHS player anymore. Sometimes I think it'd be nice to have one for that reason.... you can get cheap (or free! nice score!) VHS tapes almost anywhere.

And yay for the Dark Crystal!!!

My DH (an amateur drummer BTW) refused to part with ours when I finally went out and got a dvd player. Now I'm glad. We just got an armload of VHS tapes at a tag sale down the street of 80s and 90s kids' stuff I'd forgotten about, as well as some others that DH and I will enjoy. Paid $2 for all those, plus some books, an office desk, and flower pot and an orange reemer. (reamer?) Hm, neither one looks right. Anyway! Free rocks!

And Scotty, you're so right about making bread!! I actually enjoy making laundry detergent. Friends wonder why. It's the process. I'm doing it very intentionally if that makes sense. I'm thinking about WHY I'm making it as I'm making it. I'm think about how it's going to better for the earth and my family when I'm making it. It's as much the process as the product.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Not snooty at all. You sound very interesting and you and your wife seem to know exactly what you want and are willing to work together to meet those goals. I so wish I had more time to actually enjoy some of the things I do. Well, I enjoy them but I don't often savor them. But baking bread is one of those savored moments.

Note to Scotty: In reading anything I post do not grade me on spelling. I really can spell, well, sometimes....

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
ScottyG said:
My wife and I are both artists, and that means we've agreed to live on little money to support our careers in fields that aren't exactly flush with dough. We've taken steps to save money in ways that often mean avoiding the mainstream way (bonus!) and doing things our own ways. We're also kind of hippies (a little bit) and strive to do things in a way that's good for the earth, good for our baby, good for our environment, and our neighbors.

I know I can't do everything I want to in the self-sufficiency category... I don't have any land to farm or garden, and I'm not sure that right now in my life I'd even have time to do so if I had the land.
ScottyG, I can really relate to you, but I have leaped a bit farther with some consequences. I am an artist, AND I am doing chickens and growing food and cooking from scratch. We have to live on less money than if I had a regular paycheck, especially in this economy. The gardening in particular totally knocks the art out of my life a certain times of the year. I get this restless feeling growing in me to get back my studio time, so thank goodness for the change of seasons and a freeze! My kids are grown, but I sure do remember how much time and devotion it took when they were young. Sounds like you have a good head on your short body! ;)

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm married to a dark-haired, artistic, Bjork-loving, shorty, who dreams of being an at-home dad someday! :lol: You two sound so alike! Some of Bjork's music perplexes me, but I think she's awesome and love a lot of her stuff. My favorite is "It's Oh So Quiet". Especially when my husband does his best Bjork impression and sings and dances along! It always makes me laugh so hard I cry! :lol:

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ScottyG wrote:I think so many things in our world these days have been changed to be inexpensive and disposable, instead of focusing on quality.
But I do strive to do things myself if I can, because life's not about getting as much done as possible, but about enjoying as much of your time as possible. If I get more things done, but don't enjoy any of them, then I've failed. And I think part of the self-sufficient life is enjoying the time it takes to do things yourself. You know, I could buy bread quicker than I could bake it. But what would I do with that extra time that would be more enjoyable than making a loaf of bread?
As Im reading this post the lyrics to the song I'm listening to are:
Think of what we used to know and weep
Everything once was precious, now everything is cheap
And no one has time, since the future has rolled into town
And every single year, the price of memory goes down, down, down

I think that sums it up pretty well!

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Zenbirder- Sounds like you've got great stuff going on! I hope that in the future I'll be able to leap a little further. Part of what I really enjoy here is getting ideas on how to do that. I'm taking small steps at the moment, but it's good to know that larger ones are possible!

Annmarie- Yay! Dark-haired, artistic, Bjork-loving, shorties unite! Also, what is that song you're listening to? Great lyrics! I've been listening a lot to a band called "eels" this week, and they have a lyric along similar lines that's been sticking with me a lot:

"A careful man tries to dodge the bullets, while a happy man takes a walk."

2dream- I try to savor all kinds of things, but whether I'm successful or not... well, that's to be debated. I mean, I say I love to savor the bread-making time, but sometimes it's more of a "quick! do it before the baby gets mad!" situation.

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ScottyG said:
Annmarie- Yay! Dark-haired, artistic, Bjork-loving, shorties unite! Also, what is that song you're listening to? Great lyrics! I've been listening a lot to a band called "eels" this week, and they have a lyric along similar lines that's been sticking with me a lot:

"A careful man tries to dodge the bullets, while a happy man takes a walk."
The eels are quite popular in our house! One of the better "newer" bands in my opinion. I'm big on lyrics and find that most popular musicians would be much better off if they just shut up and played, but there are exceptions of course, like the eels. The song I was listenting to was from Peter Mulvey, and the it's called "You and Me and the Ten Thousand Things". It's real sit down and put your feet up and think music. He's one that I hope never shuts up! You can listen to the first half of the song here:
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mulvey4
You can also find a lot of him on YouTube, but not that particular song.