Scrounge any good things lately? I did!

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I thought so. Her basement is overflowing with boxes and totes. Very hard to get her to turn loose of any! She doesent even know what she has. 100s of jars though.

But she still won't give me her lime pickle recipe!:somad she just says "follow the recipe on the jar of (can't remember), I just do some of it different" yes and that is why yours are sooooooooo good. TELL ME!!!!

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Joel_BC said:
Fairly recent finds include a squeeze-handle water nozzle (garden hose), a square-tubing steel table frame, a small metal tool box, some heavy steel old window-sash counter weights.

But I agree with FarmerChick... It's getting harder to find things in my area too. I'm nearly an hour's drive from the nearest towns (i.e., ones of 6000 or more population.) - where there are dumpsters and private scrap yards. I am, however, only a 15-minute drive from our local public dump, in a village. It used to be there was all kinds of scrap steel (and some aluminum and brass) to be had there for free, and you could pick through the piles. About five years ago they re-organized. Household waste goes into a very modern compacter, everything else now goes into designated bins and is shipped away on a frequent basis. The bins are deep and hazardous to venture into, and besides you're prohibited from doing that. From what I know, both insurance considerations and bulldozing costs were the motivators behind the new system.

I believe a lot of locals will probably regret ridding themselves of the metal scrap they possibly used to have on their own home places. :hit Times are changing and we may need old stuff.
Because of local laws you now have to hide scrap metal out of sight from the road [so called appearance standards] I know one old guy that collects Horse powered farm machines and puts them back into like new condition, they forced him to fence them off under threat to charge him to haul his "Junk" away. He is appealing with the arguement that the old Sherman Tank in front of the VFW or the civil war cannons in front of the courthouse don't comply either. So it is veterans, history buffs and farmers Vs the YUPPIES who have taken over the county with their cookie cutter PUDS [Planned Urban Developments] I live in a UPUD a neighborhood outside city limits built by Hippies back in the '70s no two houses are the same!

stubbornhillfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My boss had an older photo copier that still works fine sitting out back. Has a new cartridge and everything. I asked. He said, "go ahead and take it." So there you go. Easy as that!

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
~gd said:
Because of local laws you now have to hide scrap metal out of sight from the road [so called appearance standards] I know one old guy that collects Horse powered farm machines and puts them back into like new condition, they forced him to fence them off under threat to charge him to haul his "Junk" away. He is appealing with the arguement that the old Sherman Tank in front of the VFW or the civil war cannons in front of the courthouse don't comply either. So it is veterans, history buffs and farmers Vs the YUPPIES who have taken over the county with their cookie cutter PUDS [Planned Urban Developments] I live in a UPUD a neighborhood outside city limits built by Hippies back in the '70s no two houses are the same!
I'm in western Canada. It's extremely "rural" here, you could say. No yuppie touches. Might be more accurate to term our situation "mountain-style rural development in the midst of wilderness". I'm in a valley with a population of roughly 6000 people - three villages, none with more than 500 people. Other residents are strewn along the valley bottom and up the slopes and benches to an elevation of maybe 1000 ft above sea level. Here, the dump sites are operated by the regional district (roughy equivalent to a U.S. "county" level of gov't).

I think the province of British Columbia (a province is roughly equivalent to a "state" level of organization in the U.S.) has set the standards for the "transfer stations" (public trash dumps). "Unsightliness" curtailment came up as a topic of discussion in our valley about 15 years ago, but the public outcry from farmers, homesteaders, and other residents put an end to the idea of legally regulating private properties that way. But the transfer stations are a different situation, since they are supported by tax monies... and aspects like fiscal management, insurance, coordination of transport, and so on are regulated by the province.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
You can't trash pick around here-at least not things that are recyclable. I will, however, take things that I know aren't recyclable. That's how I got the table and chairs and umbrella for in front of my tack shed. And, I will grab plastic kitty litter buckets if they're the right size.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
You can't trash pick around here-at least not things that are recyclable. I will, however, take things that I know aren't recyclable. That's how I got the table and chairs and umbrella for in front of my tack shed. And, I will grab plastic kitty litter buckets if they're the right size.
The local situation is possibly a bit different from yours, Deb. Here, we have recycling bins for metal cans, glass jars and non-refundable bottles, plastics, cardboard, and paper. But these bin stations are separate from what people are supposed take to the transfer stations (public dumps). The transfer stations get the scrap metal, wood (like small-scrap plywood), kitchen/household waste in plastic sacks, old propane bottles, machine chunks, old pipe, furniture so broken down that nobody wants to use or reclaim it.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
We have trash pickup, not a dump. Some places around here do have a dump w/separate areas for various things. And, depending on the dump, you can get stuff. We do have a place that you can take branches, leaves, etc, but they won't let you take any good, burnable logs home.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
We have trash pickup, not a dump. Some places around here do have a dump w/separate areas for various things. And, depending on the dump, you can get stuff. We do have a place that you can take branches, leaves, etc, but they won't let you take any good, burnable logs home.
What do they do with those burnable logs?

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Joel_BC said:
Denim Deb said:
What do they do with those burnable logs?
Haven't a clue. I just know they won't let me take em. :(

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Joel_BC said:
~gd said:
I'm in western Canada. It's extremely "rural" here, you could say. No yuppie touches. Might be more accurate to term our situation "mountain-style rural development in the midst of wilderness". I'm in a valley with a population of roughly 6000 people - three villages, none with more than 500 people. Other residents are strewn along the valley bottom and up the slopes and benches to an elevation of maybe 1000 ft above sea level. Here, the dump sites are operated by the regional district (roughy equivalent to a U.S. "county" level of gov't).

I think the province of British Columbia (a province is roughly equivalent to a "state" level of organization in the U.S.) has set the standards for the "transfer stations" (public trash dumps). "Unsightliness" curtailment came up as a topic of discussion in our valley about 15 years ago, but the public outcry from farmers, homesteaders, and other residents put an end to the idea of legally regulating private properties that way. But the transfer stations are a different situation, since they are supported by tax monies... and aspects like fiscal management, insurance, coordination of transport, and so on are regulated by the province.
This area used to be rural [in fact some of the old timers claimed "Mayberry" of TV fame was taken from here.] It is located on the cross roads of what used to be the main N-S and a major E-W highway. Land was cheap and unspoiled. It was discovered by the people that wanted to live outside Raleigh and still have a easy commute to work. PUDs popped up like weeds and it became a 'bedroom' community with the newcomers out voting the natives. They moved here for the 'charm' of a rural setting and started to turn the place to the suburbs they fled from! Move to the country and then complain about Roosters crowing? Did that. Think pastures are public parks? did that too! There is a difference between common sense and a bunch of restrictive rules. Sorry I am just a little bit Bitter today.~gd

Latest posts