Scrounge any good things lately? I did!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I am a proud dumpster diver! :D I can't begin to tell all the really neat things I've found at the curb and even asked about when I saw people had them in a junk pile at their homes. I've found all sorts of perfectly good things that were being thrown out simply because they weren't wanted any longer, not because of any flaw or defect of any kind.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That's how I got the gas fireplace that is heating my home right now! People were throwing the whole stinking thing away because they replaced it with a vented set. Dh asked if he could have it and they told him take it!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I got the windows and screens for the greenhouse from the local dump. I didn't even have to dive for them, they were neatly stacked out beside the dumpsters and I can go back and get more any time :D I am going to get some screens for drying apples today. BRAND NEW screens! They're still there...because I called :lol: I'll store them in the greenhouse until ready to use them ;)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've noticed things are harder to find now. everyone taking their own scrap to the yard for cash, keeping things longer etc.
while this is a good thing ;), I want my free stuff back

I just haven't found anything lately

Old Sew'n'Sew

All Strings Considered
Reaction score
1 bentwood swivel bamboo chair, in perfect condition, it needed a cushion which I got at WM; 2 clear glass heart shaped boxes/with lids, 5 clear glass candle lamps with shades from home interiors, 1 auquarium with a screen on top for gerbils (without the gerbils:)), one pine end table, 1 bedside night stand with drawers; I painted both of those.

All out of the town trash dump truck!

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Fairly recent finds include a squeeze-handle water nozzle (garden hose), a square-tubing steel table frame, a small metal tool box, some heavy steel old window-sash counter weights.

But I agree with FarmerChick... It's getting harder to find things in my area too. I'm nearly an hour's drive from the nearest towns (i.e., ones of 6000 or more population.) - where there are dumpsters and private scrap yards. I am, however, only a 15-minute drive from our local public dump, in a village. It used to be there was all kinds of scrap steel (and some aluminum and brass) to be had there for free, and you could pick through the piles. About five years ago they re-organized. Household waste goes into a very modern compacter, everything else now goes into designated bins and is shipped away on a frequent basis. The bins are deep and hazardous to venture into, and besides you're prohibited from doing that. From what I know, both insurance considerations and bulldozing costs were the motivators behind the new system.

I believe a lot of locals will probably regret ridding themselves of the metal scrap they possibly used to have on their own home places. :hit Times are changing and we may need old stuff.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Old Sew'n'Sew said:
1 bentwood swivel bamboo chair, in perfect condition, it needed a cushion which I got at WM; 2 clear glass heart shaped boxes/with lids, 5 clear glass candle lamps with shades from home interiors, 1 auquarium with a screen on top for gerbils (without the gerbils:)), one pine end table, 1 bedside night stand with drawers; I painted both of those.

All out of the town trash dump truck!
Is this the type of chair you got?

http://www.brookstone.com/rattan-sw...r:adType=pla&gclid=CI-EkLbTuq4CFWnatgodBR3fDg

I have one, don't recall now where I picked it up, but it's the most comfortable chair I own.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I got 2 boxes of canning jars, and 4 rubbermaid totes full of fabric, and 2 boxes of misc glassware type stuff from my grandma today. I don't sew much so I will give away most of the fabric. And I was looking threw the glassware and there was a new- in the box set of onida silverware! And 4 reproduction blue willow plates and 1 old blue willow cup. And other cups bowls and plates.