Scrounge any good things lately? I did!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
You could try putting an ad on CL. I see them all the time around here from people who will remove old appliances, etc for free.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
DH found an old rusty kitchen utility cart with an outlet and wheels in the woods behind the park. We have taken it apart and he has ben sanding it. When it is done (after painting), I'll post a photo.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Big_White, if you have a recycling center in your area, you can make pretty good money by recycling different kinds of metal, old appliances, aluminum cans, etc. My son recently bought a new I-phone with $ made by recycling old appliances. And, as you point out, it's cleaning up the environment, too. Double win for you.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
You know, I read an article about a couple of guys that did that to put their way through college and it turned into a million dollar business. They started by cleaning out old people's garages for a small fee and to keep the old junk the people didn't want...here is another article about the same guys:

http://yfsentrepreneur.com/2011/11/...summer-gig-into-multimillion-dollar-business/
Welcome to my world. :thumbsup This is one of the ways I have been able to put a lot of antique items in my house. Last time I got payed to clean a garage I picked up old wagon wheels and old wooden wheel barrel, old art deask and table, old bean pots and more. Most people just don't care when it come to wnting things gone. JUst see my mason jar post for an example. Another deal I did was putting a kitchen cabinte and counter top in for a client and they let me clean out there basement too. got some New anderson windows in boxes, old water pump very nice antique type with belt system and 4 truck loads of coal. :) traded the windows 2 days later for 7 oz of silver. All I say is thank you Lord !!

HandledWithCare

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I don't know if it's a scrounge but I scored a lawn-size trash bag full of egg cartons for free. It made my day!

HWC

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yep! A score is as good as a scrounge~with varying degrees of cost. One can score on a good find, pay full price or even reduced. A scrounge is usually something for free but can still be called a "score". Does that make any sense? :p

HandledWithCare

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Yep! A score is as good as a scrounge~with varying degrees of cost. One can score on a good find, pay full price or even reduced. A scrounge is usually something for free but can still be called a "score". Does that make any sense? :p
It makes sense, reminds me of something from college metaphysics but I've still got enough muscle between my ears to grasp the philosophical! I managed to build my chicken and turkey coops totally out of repurposed wood and bought only the wire. Plus all of our fertilizer is free from the rabbits; they're very generous with it!

HWC

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Back in the day...when gas was at a price you could actually afford leasurly drives...
I would...go out driving lanes the night before garbage day...scored lots...
and what i couldn't use would pile up for garage sales...which definately brought in get by cash...
years ago...I took out a book the art and science of dumpster diving...
and really got some major scores...though...that is something...
I have never shared with my hubby...
though I am proud that in the worst of hardship times...I did find
ways to survive