Scrounge any good things lately? I did!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Shareneh, never pay when you can get it for free. I have been wanting a pressure canner for many yrs & my mom kept saying I have one don't buy it. Well finally this summer she found it, I have only used it so far for water bath canning but as soon as I have enough green beans to can we will be using it. Great deal for you with your neighbor. I will admit the first few times I asked someone for something I was a little timid about it, but they were glad they did not have to throw it away & it would be getting new use out of it they were only too happy to give it to me. So after that it gets easier to ask. The old saying "practice makes perfect".
:thumbsup

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I forgot we got a bigger swingset on Sat from my parents across the street neighbors as they are moving soon & did not want to take it with them. So I freecycled our old one & it was gone the next morning!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh man, don't get me started on swing sets. I have been on the lookout to scrounge one and I can't find one.

an acquaintance at school said her sister had one for sale, a big wooden one with slide, glider, swings, little table and fort on it....she paid like $800 for it and she said she is selling for $250.

Well I went and looked.....broken slide, one swing missing, fort roof is collapsed kinda on one side......NO WAY....would cost $200 just to fix it and add a swing and slide.........so no go on that one.

I check my local IWANNA sale paper that has everything from nuts and bolts to autos to animals to 'puters etc. etc. and all the swing sets are NOT cheap. I know people are paying top dollar for these suckers and don't want to lose much money on selling them.

I priced one at Lowe's....OUCHY MOMMA.....not happening for that price.

I saw a nice metal one at Kmart for $259 for so. It was nice but I kinda want to grade up just a touch and can't seem to find that "good one for a decent price"--LOL

I want to get Nicole one for her April B-day.....so I am still looking big time for that.

sorry, rant on swing sets....cause I have been dealing with them for over a month at least now..UGH......and you getting a nice one from the neighbors...LUCKY YOU!!!!!!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Ours is a metal one. Don wanted to build a big nice wood set one but the price is just not conducive for us at all!
When in April? Mine is the 6th, good month for Nicole to be born in!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
she is april 15
tax day s---so easy to remember.
so you april gals stick together huh? LOL

yea I am sure, unless I hit a stellar deal, Nicole's will be a metal one......heck, that is what I grew up with and played on it all the time!

I think all things in this world are "taken too far" sometimes. Some of those "super" swing sets are just insane....especially the price! LOL

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
my son is on his way now with some 2x4's he scored while scraping an old trailer. He wanted to sell them till I reminded him he wants turkeys in the spring and I am NOT making the pen.

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Homesteadmom said:
Ours is a metal one. Don wanted to build a big nice wood set one but the price is just not conducive for us at all!
When in April? Mine is the 6th, good month for Nicole to be born in!!
my dads friend works in construction and said he would build us one if I bought the wood. My cousin works at the lumber yard so he bought it with his discount and we paid him. The wood has sat in my driveway for several months now....:barnie

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I hope to read what you guys have written, but I only have time right now to say YES! I found a whole bunch of canning jars, a 3 L glass jar, and a nice glass pitcher with a plastic top for storing liquids in the fridge. These were all bought at a thrift store, so I don't know if it qualifies as "scrounging" per say, but I was having a hard time finding these sorts of items before.

Which reminds me . . . time to hit the thrift stores if there are reasonably priced ones in your area. People are making end-of-year donations right about now and so there is a lot of new stuff to find. :D

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
I hope to read what you guys have written, but I only have time right now to say YES! I found a whole bunch of canning jars, a 3 L glass jar, and a nice glass pitcher with a plastic top for storing liquids in the fridge. These were all bought at a thrift store, so I don't know if it qualifies as "scrounging" per say, but I was having a hard time finding these sorts of items before.

Which reminds me . . . time to hit the thrift stores if there are reasonably priced ones in your area. People are making end-of-year donations right about now and so there is a lot of new stuff to find. :D
Never thought about the end of year donors. Thanks for the tip.;)