Self Sufficient 2018 Goals

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I will post a thread on it when I start. One of our egg customers said they want chicken. And they want more pork, but they are ready to go buy a freezer for a whole hog. I might just be raising some expensive freezer chickens for ourselves and our DD. We'll see how it goes.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just watch the pig manure in the garden when you plant. Pig manure is gold, but too fresh it will fry your plants. If it makes the soil too acidic, you can neutralize it with wood fire ash.

Thanks for that :) I lime the gardens anyways because I use chicken manure - so I kind of already thought about that.

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That's totally SS @Beekissed , you're just refining what you already have :)

Oh @NH Homesteader , that sounds really interesting! I think it would be fun to come up with ways to change their pen area.

YoteMeadows

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Your list is so much more detailed! Adding sewing to my list, especially for the kids (they outgrow everything so fast). And planting the 25 native pine trees that we ordered LOL.

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Our goal is to grow enough veggies (that we eat...no more spaghetti squash) to put up to last the winter. We have plans to build a root cellar and test out hydroponics too. That being said..I'm glad we will have help this year.

Ambitious! Sounds great!

Do you know how much you need to put up of each veggie to last the winter?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
My goals are to:

Raise more turkeys and less chickens.

Design and build a rotating pig 2 pens with a movable shelter. Every other year garden in 1 pigs in the other - then rotate the next year.
Just watch the pig manure in the garden when you plant. Pig manure is gold, but too fresh it will fry your plants. If it makes the soil too acidic, you can neutralize it with wood fire ash.

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, I haven't had many chicken purchases this year yet, but of those I did they got recorded!

I will likely expand this goal to encompass gardening expenses as well.