Self Sufficient 2018 Goals

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Happy 2018!

In the spirit of New Years resolutions I thought I'd open it up to our members to share their goals for the 2018 year on how they would like to improve their self-sufficiency.

To really work on accomplishing something, the best goals are specific. For instance, the old new years resolution of "exercise more" works a lot better if it's clearly defined as "exercise 3 times a week for 30min". Ideally your goal is something you know you're very capable of doing and simply needs some articulation to help with motivation and focus. Maybe it's something you've been putting off and are now ready to tackle head on. Could be learning a new skill, or eliminating some sort of outside dependence.

Let us know through the year how you're progressing with your goal(s) and help cheer on everyone else with theirs!

So what is a goal you have for 2018 that you haven't accomplished in years past and hope to add to your self sufficient or homesteading life?

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My 2018 goal is to track all of my chicken expenses.

This would be food, bedding, chicks, and equipment.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My 2018 goal is to raise a greater variety of vegetables. For years I gardened in small beds on a city lot and was quite limited. When we moved 3 years ago, I just wanted to plant THE WHOLE PACKAGE OF SEED! And I did. Most died because the soil is pure sand, we have worked hard to improve it. We are getting there.

My garden is 70'x100'. I am over having to plant the whole package of seed. I still want to plant enough to can or freeze produce and have enough to share with DD and family. But I want a greater variety and will be happy with less than 36 zucchini plants. LOL

I have already ordered seeds and I just hope I can get them all planted. Well, not ALL, but you know.

YoteMeadows

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Our goal is to grow enough veggies (that we eat...no more spaghetti squash) to put up to last the winter. We have plans to build a root cellar and test out hydroponics too. That being said..I'm glad we will have help this year.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Order my seeds on time (check, did that in December!)
Start my seeds on time.
Prevent DH from planting my precious seedlings before the last frost.
Learn to can something I haven't tried yet.
Learn to make corsets. (I am wearing them for a medical issue and they're expensive!)
Make my own clothing. I have the machines, I should probably use them? no?
Work towards mastering portraiture for future source of income.
Various frugality challenges, I posted a different thread about them.

YoteMeadows

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Your list is so much more detailed! Adding sewing to my list, especially for the kids (they outgrow everything so fast). And planting the 25 native pine trees that we ordered LOL.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh geeze, I definitely should have something(s) to add here....but I haven't had a lot of time to think about it. Maybe to castrate every male animal born here in 2018, lol. Maybe that's a little too much...

Okay, here's a straightforward goal:
Get the electric fence up to keep Cowboy where he belongs.

Oh, here's another:
Reinforce the garden fence to keep the chickens out.

I'm sure there's got to be more!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
our main goal is to produce more of the food we eat and buy less processed foods. The methods are gardening, raising livestock and hunting.

I got chickens and rabbits down. I did ok for my first year of gardening. But I want to expand the garden. Grow more. Learn to eat more healthy foods and learn to preserve them.

I'd also like to get a pig and some ducks. But I'd settle for either one as of now

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
WOW -- if I have to report it, maybe I will do it. :cool:

1. Re-organize my chicken coops. This is a little tricky as I have some that are pens for separation of types, broodies, grow-outs. But need them more efficiently situated & fencing set for those that are temporarily not in free-range mode.

2. Grow more animal feeds...particularly for winter use. I want to do this without extra equipment expense. Grow turnips, pumpkins, beets, grains to store -- winter wheat for graze, etc.

3. Plant a larger garden, to eat, can, freeze. Mainly variety as I only grew tomatoes, cukes , beans & winter squash last yr.

4. Evaluate & limit myself to what I will use/eat/need & not decide to do something just because it's a great self-sufficient idea that I can do! (that's why I sold my sows along with their piglets last year! Didn't "need" the expense or time to care for them 365. Pork was great!! Do a feeder if I want more. No rabbits. Taste great but, won't butcher them. No ducks, don't eat them enough. See the picture?)

:old Remember I want to be a "stay at home" farmer in 2 yrs.

Last edited:

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Our goal is to grow enough veggies (that we eat...no more spaghetti squash) to put up to last the winter. We have plans to build a root cellar and test out hydroponics too. That being said..I'm glad we will have help this year.

Ambitious! Sounds great!

Do you know how much you need to put up of each veggie to last the winter?

Latest posts