Self-sufficient/preparedness living--Where to start?

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
LOL, so did I Deb!!
I am amazed I even said 'farmer' at that age... it definitely wasn't the accepted idea of what to be. And I got made fun of it a bit. Thankfully nobody really thought about it five minutes later, LOL.
I wonder how many others that were in my class actually are going to be what they said they'd be when they were five?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
*Chuckles* I wanted to be a vet, a zoo nutritionist and an author. I obviously didn't know what a zoo nutritionist was called at the time, so I just said zookeeper, but that's exactly what I always envisioned... Taking care of the feed needs of the animals. Still very interested in nutrition stuff.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I wanted to be a cowboy! :D Then, I wanted to be a farmer's wife. Now? I just enjoy being ME.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Haha, that's why its such a bad question!

BB - At your point in life, I don't think anyone really knows. I know I certainly didn't, which is why college was a flop for me. But I didn't know what else to do, so I did that.

It takes experiencing life to find what lets you THRIVE.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When I was 4 I wanted to be a nurse like my Mom. When I was 8 I wanted to be a vet and take care of other peoples' pets because we never had any while I was growing up. When I was 13 I wanted to be an archaeologist because I loved learning about ancient Egypt, Greece, and Rome. When I graduated high school I headed off to university to earn an education degree--and I didn't believe one of my profs who repeatedly told us that only about 50% of us would actually use our degree and teach. Turned out I wasn't one of them, too many teachers when I graduated, but my degree has come in so handy in everything else I've done.

BarredBuff said:
I don't know what I want to do :hu
That's actually a good thing. And so is changing your mind over and over. No one does just one thing with their entire working life anymore. School and work experience and life will mould your expectations as you go forward, but I'm 41 and still have lots of ideas about what I'd like to do with my life :)

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
moolie said:
When I was 4 I wanted to be a nurse like my Mom. When I was 8 I wanted to be a vet and take care of other peoples' pets because we never had any while I was growing up. When I was 13 I wanted to be an archaeologist because I loved learning about ancient Egypt, Greece, and Rome. When I graduated high school I headed off to university to earn an education degree--and I didn't believe one of my profs who repeatedly told us that only about 50% of us would actually use our degree and teach. Turned out I wasn't one of them, too many teachers when I graduated, but my degree has come in so handy in everything else I've done.
We're all benefiting here, Moolie, from the educator's training that you received in university. You share so much of value on SS, and I'd say you do it in a clear and easily assimilated fashion. I suspected you were a teacher, even before I read a post or two by you that stated you had that training (and internship?). Just thought I'd send a bit of appreciation & gratitude your way.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Aw thanks Joel :)

I'm glad I have something of value to share, so many of you are really homesteading and I'm just plugging along in suburbia with my pile of canning jars and tiny gardens and lacking in brevity in my online typing. :rolleyes:

Education is always a good thing, I remain a life-long learner and read voraciously--books and the internet. I love to travel, whenever I get the chance--our family are road-trippers and we drive a lot (especially around BC where most of our family live). My kids get a little tired some days of having a teacher for a mother, as I'm big on object lessons and ask them non-stop questions when we do things.

My degree is a 5-year B.Ed. (Elementary) from UVic, and yes, it included practicum semesters where I got to teach. After I graduated I worked for a couple of years in a preschool and then for a year as a homeschool tutor half-days for a family that had two boys who needed to beef up their schooling prior to entering Jr. High. I have been fortunate to be able to put my education to good use as a Girl Guide leader and GGC Camping Adviser over the past 10 or so years, as well as volunteering at my kids' school when they were in the elementary grades (I trained as an Art Teacher and often got called up by various teachers at the school to see if I would like to "teach" Art classes over the years). When school librarians got cut back, I volunteered part time in the school library. I may actually "go back" to teaching in the future when we move to a more rural property after our kids are done with their schooling here in the city, but we'll see when the time comes. We know we'll need an income at that point, but whether it is hubs or I, or both of us working at that point remains to be seen.

I've never seen my degree as wasted, and I hope that others see similar value in education, even if they don't end up doing what they had thought they might, when they were younger. Advice for the younger people on here like Buffy. :)

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I do know one thing, this what I want to do with my life. Raise animals and vegetables, and be self reliant. As far as a career, probably teaching. It pays okay, enough to maintain a homestead with extra to spend. As well as good hours. Get out for the summer, and get some time in the winter. But I am not committed to anything but I am probably gonna go this route.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
I do know one thing, this what I want to do with my life. Raise animals and vegetables, and be self reliant. As far as a career, probably teaching. It pays okay, enough to maintain a homestead with extra to spend. As well as good hours. Get out for the summer, and get some time in the winter. But I am not committed to anything but I am probably gonna go this route.
with all the training you are getting, and have already, I can see you teaching ag or shop, teaching kids something they can really use. :)