Selling eggs to morons

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
FJ, there is nothing close to fresh, free range hen eggs :) I had to do without eggs for a while now and one of our two hens finally started back up a few days ago. It's so nice to have those fresh eggs again!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I quit bothering with selling eggs. I had complaints about the $2.50 price for my free range blue eggs because it wasn't $1 a dozen like the mass produced white eggs are on sale.

There is one store around here that gets blue eggs in occasionally. They run $7 plus a dozen.

I just have a few ameraucana and EEs for eggs for us and occasionally giving away now. The silkie eggs get pickled mostly. Takes 3 of them to make a large egg.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I agree, the hassle cost more than any monetary benefit to be had from selling eggs. However, I continue to do so. Usually, my egg sales offset the cost of my feed. And, I am passionate about sharing my love of REAL food with those around me. Whether it's selling eggs at what is essentially a loss (egg sales will NEVER pay for my coop). Or taking a neighbor or friend into my green house for a bag of fresh picked greens when our world is covered with snow and ice. Or giving away seedlings or perennials. I do it because gardening is my earthly passion. (not to be confused with my spiritual passion.)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mine glean quite a bit out there, even in the winter. If we have deep snows they will find whatever is sheltering green grass from the snow and graze that green. If there isn't any snow, they are constantly scratching~and finding or they wouldn't bend down to eat it so vigorously~things to eat. If I lived where the soils froze solid all winter it might be a different story, but my birds range all winter and work diligently at it....grass seeds fall and can be found then, pine nut seeds finally turn loose of the cone, bugs hibernating under the leaf layer, various grubs hibernating under the garden soils they can excavate, etc. Consequently, even though depending a lot on supplemental feeding, their yolks remain dark orange all winter long and they get fresh food, exercise and clean soils on which to spread their poop and not having to walk in it again. Lot of benefits to free range in winter if you don't live in the cold, dark and far north states.

full

full

full

Here's a little funny for all who sell their eggs...

The video is so true... My in-laws won't eat my eggs they say they are NOT natural :rolleyes:

SustainableAg

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My gosh, this is too funny. The ignorance is astonishing.
Funny story, my grandfather loved brown eggs. He got them from a local farmer, and swore they tasted better than store bought (obviously). My grandmother detested the brown eggs, and refused to eat them. She thought they tasted funny, and actually liked the store bought "white eggs" better! The nerve! :th

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I had a lady tell me she grew up on a farm. She told me that once she caught an egg when the hen was laying it, and she "watched the shell harden right in my hand!!!" Seriously. Casting my pearls before swine to try to tell her otherwise!