Share your ideas for Holiday Gifts!

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
One cousin is getting homemade sugar free cocoa mix, another is getting a few jars of homemade tomato soup, a third is getting a homemade scarf, because she collects them, Granny is getting jars of spicy salsa and homemade chips. She complains that the store bought has no flavor, but loves mine :) Those four gifts are traditional. The tomato soup usually gets at least 1 jar opened right there at the gathering. Granny hides her salsa until everybody leaves so nobody will eat it :D I love my Granny!
Mom is getting no added sugar jam, dad is getting a new ballcap. MIL & 2 SIL are getting lavender soap, BIL 1 is getting a MOLLE pouch, BIL 2 gets a gift card to some electronic store, BIL 3 is getting new clip springs for his AK.
Everybody else can take a jump in the lake because nothing is ever good enough. :p

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I can't believe you give all those adults gifts in the first place. It sounds like you go out of your way to specialize your gift to each person. We stopped exchanging gifts with the adults years ago. Just the little ones now.

You guys are very encouraging. I have made a blanket a day for the last 4 days. Whoo hoo, at this rate I will be done in no time.

Thanks!!!!

gina

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I think for all the men I am going to make quilted wine bottle cosies...that say "I'm sorry" and have an applique of a dog in the doghouse ... It is something they can definitely use at least once in the next year or so, and it could be vital to thier sex lives...
When momma gets mad, buy her wine...

"Wine a little...you'll feel better!"

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
BIL 1 is getting a MOLLE pouch, BIL 2 gets a gift card to some electronic store, BIL 3 is getting new clip springs for his AK.
Everybody else can take a jump in the lake because nothing is ever good enough. :p
I love that you know your in laws so well to know that BIL3 needs new clip springs for his AK.. that just rocks so much!

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ugh. My family is rolling in the money, so just about everyone buys gifts for everyone. Our get-together includes at least two aunts, an uncle, three older female cousins, at least one older male cousin, two younger female cousins and whoever else. My mind is failing me right now, lol. My one cousin was smart though, and made pumpkin bread for everyone. I'm going to make candies for everyone and maybe a bar or two of soap, lol.
Closer family, I'm still working on. My parents will get a ton of jam. My friend sent some over and they ended up working through nine pints in two weeks or so.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
Ugh. My family is rolling in the money, so just about everyone buys gifts for everyone. Our get-together includes at least two aunts, an uncle, three older female cousins, at least one older male cousin, two younger female cousins and whoever else. My mind is failing me right now, lol. My one cousin was smart though, and made pumpkin bread for everyone. I'm going to make candies for everyone and maybe a bar or two of soap, lol.
Closer family, I'm still working on. My parents will get a ton of jam. My friend sent some over and they ended up working through nine pints in two weeks or so.
Home made scented soaps are a great idea for anyone regardless how much money they make, I absolutely love them as air fresheners for bathrooms and closets...and of course to use! A special facial soap would be fabulous for the women, just talk it up like it is the best thing for the skin ever, which it is!

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
Bettacreek said:
Home made scented soaps are a great idea for anyone regardless how much money they make, I absolutely love them as air fresheners for bathrooms and closets...and of course to use! A special facial soap would be fabulous for the women, just talk it up like it is the best thing for the skin ever, which it is!
Well, I know that my cousin posted on my facebook about her favorite shampoo was a beer shampoo but it was discontinued. So if I can figure that one out, I can make her some beer shampoo for x-mas. Facebook certainly makes gift-giving so much easier, lol.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ha! All the kids get baked goodies, there aren't many. The tiny ones get soft books or baby. I get a friend to come help, because she bakes very well and I don't. They love them and they are (mostly) good for you treats.

I've got tons of cousins (5 uncles and 1 aunt, all with multiple kids, wheee) & other relatives that I don't do anything for, like I said, because nothing is good enough. We're good just sitting around at family gatherings having awkward conversation. Recently its them trying to pretend I didn't just say "Well, I got in from milking this morning and cleaned the chicken poop out of my hair." :lol:

The ones I get or make things for have always been interested in real conversation or debate, and don't look down on the fact that I raise some of my food. The others see it as being poor white trash. Sooo... :tongue

BIL3 and I talk guns a lot, DH and BIL2 talk video games, hehehe :)

And we don't give the inlaws stuff every year, sometimes they get Christmas in July when we go there on vacation, sometimes nothing. But honestly, I get along better with most of my in-laws than my own family.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Raggedy Ann dolls for my kids and a few neices. All from scraps, including clothes for dolls. What did it cost? Time.
Childrens clothes....dresses and nightwear.
Wine (homemade) for adults or canned figs....not sure.
Husband wants a new pair of slippers. I have no idea where he put his old pair.
Went to a sale of McCalls patterns recently and really stocked up on additions to my collection. I plan on making my 3 and 7 year old each a little canopy/room thing, which hangs from the ceiling and requires a hula hoop and about 14 yards of fabric. I think they will love it, but I'm going to look at some clearance fabric. I would like to do Christmas for under 500 dollars.....more like about 300 if possible. And most of that, I want to have remain in my house.