Share your ideas for Holiday Gifts!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My goodness how do we all come from families that just suck??. I posted a long thread complaining about my extended family telling about the many times my gifts were cast aside. But it doesn't help.

Mumble, grumble, complain fiery snakes.!!!!

I will just do my best this year and if they don't like it next year I will send them a postcard. Maybe from another state.

g

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Dace said:
Farmfresh said:
some of those super cool Blast Match fire starters for her, my sisters husband, and my SIL.
Ok, FF....you can't just say soemthing you are making is 'Super Cool' and then not elaborate!

*off to Google* :p
Buying the Blast match starters - not making them. I learned about them on one of our threads about tool for when TSHTF. ;)
:lol:

Ok, well I just did not want to miss out on a potentially Super Cool homemade gift! I looked it up and they are pretty cool :)

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
My goodness how do we all come from families that just suck??. I posted a long thread complaining about my extended family telling about the many times my gifts were cast aside. But it doesn't help.

Mumble, grumble, complain fiery snakes.!!!!

I will just do my best this year and if they don't like it next year I will send them a postcard. Maybe from another state.

g
Uh, yea! I got into trouble one christmas because I made everyone's gifts (I did a painting for everyone) and my mother told me I was being cheap and selfish. If she dosen't want the homemade jelly she can bite me.

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have to put in a plug here for my family, who not only accept my handmade gifts and baking, but enthusiastically encourage me to continue with the Christmas Gift Baskets. I've given other handmade gifts over the years, too, and I know they are appreciated. I've come across my mom at the grocery store, wearing a quilted vest that I made for her. Also have seen pictures of my brother wearing his "dragon vest". (note to self: never ever ever cross stitch another enormous dragon on heavy denim.) My dad used his crocheted "toe warmer" blanket until the day he passed away.

My family isn't perfect....far from it....but they are supportive and lovely. I'm blessed. :)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I think part or the trouble is when it comes to home decor type gifts.

My MIL has made us plenty of gifts over the years and most are appreciated....but then once in a while something random pops up like a cross stich pillow of an Japanese woman that completely does not go with our decor....and we had to keep it out even though it stuck out like a sore thumb on our sofa. :he

Or the time my mother had a custom sweater knit for my Hubby (who does not wear sweaters in the first place) and chose medium yellow yarn. :th The man does not wear yellow sweaters!

Food stuff and useable items are generally safe and appreciated in my family.

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
None of the people in my family need any more stuff. So I try to go with consumable gifts or gift cards. Fortunately, siblings on both sides of the family have stopped exchanging gifts. So the gift list is shorter than is used to be.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
cjparker said:
I have to put in a plug here for my family, who not only accept my handmade gifts and baking, but enthusiastically encourage me to continue with the Christmas Gift Baskets. I've given other handmade gifts over the years, too, and I know they are appreciated. I've come across my mom at the grocery store, wearing a quilted vest that I made for her. Also have seen pictures of my brother wearing his "dragon vest". (note to self: never ever ever cross stitch another enormous dragon on heavy denim.) My dad used his crocheted "toe warmer" blanket until the day he passed away.

My family isn't perfect....far from it....but they are supportive and lovely. I'm blessed. :)
That is really precious! My family also is very, very sweet about all the homemade things I give them. It's hard to sort out the honesty from the kindness, but I think they actually like them :) My husband's family is a little less enthused :p

Do you make soap, balm, lip balm? It's my new hobby this year, so I've been making gifts of them to everybody. People really tend to love a luxurious handmade soap and balm.

I didn't read the whole thread, so please forgive me if I am repeating myself, but how about popcorn? We are hauling in bushels of the stuff, so it will be a big gift item for us this year.

Dace--I have to laugh at your MIL gifts. Mine, too! Once I got an apple light switch cover, despite having no apple theme anywhere in our house. This year it was a huge magnetic dishwasher cover with a farmyard scene. The picture isn't too bad, although it's not the kind of thing I normally would choose. But, she tries :)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Today I am testing out a couple of sourdough english mufifn recipes.

If I can nail down a good recipe I will make SD muffins and freeze for with my holiday gifts....maybe make some nice summer fruit jam, blackberries or peaches are sounding yummy! For the Moms I think I will splurge on some raw honey from the farmers market too....that stuff is to DIE for!

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ohh, a friend of mine makes peppermint bark, candies, chocolates and peanutbutter brittle for gifts. I'm thinking about maybe talking to her about doing gifts together. Basically, I'll trade her some soaps and such for some of her stuff, then I can have more variety to give to my family members and she'll have more variety to give to her family members. Haven't said anything to her yet, it just popped into my mind while I was typing this, lol.