Share your ideas for Holiday Gifts!

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
urban dreamer said:
Well, I'm not sure what to do for christmas. :/ I would cook, but I do that anyways. I would knit, but only a few of my friends would appreciate it. I was going to learn to knit baby booties for my SIL who is due in June but she said "I can just buy them and if I wanted something made I'd ask someone else." Thanks SIL! :rolleyes: Whatever. I guess I'm back down to gift cards since everyone wants you to spend your money on them and not your time. :tongue
So many people are missing the whole point of the season! What do they think Christmas is all about? Lining the pockets of people who hold stock in retail stores??

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
VickiLynn said:
urban dreamer said:
Well, I'm not sure what to do for christmas. :/ I would cook, but I do that anyways. I would knit, but only a few of my friends would appreciate it. I was going to learn to knit baby booties for my SIL who is due in June but she said "I can just buy them and if I wanted something made I'd ask someone else." Thanks SIL! :rolleyes: Whatever. I guess I'm back down to gift cards since everyone wants you to spend your money on them and not your time. :tongue
So many people are missing the whole point of the season! What do they think Christmas is all about? Lining the pockets of people who hold stock in retail stores??
I guess. :/

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I get so much more excited about giving when it's something I've made myself! I mean not made for myself, but made by myself. :D

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
edit
Gift cards for everyone. I am not crafty at all. I lack that gene :p I did make vanilla last year and it was received with no enthusiasm so :tongue

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
urban dreamer said:
See I might say something like that to my MIL :hide because I know without a doubt she'd knit something with the scratchiest cheapest yarn she could find.
Well, thats exactly what she did do, she made a blanket (Crochet) for my son, and I couldn't use it, it was hard and scratchy and had holes big enough for him to get a finger or toe stuck in it, I thanked her and put the blanket away.

I don't understand how people do things like that. We got an awesome crocheted blanket from my hubby's grandmother, it was all scraps of yarn, all different colors and really neat looking - but the most awful cheap scratchy yarn on the planet, I still have that blanket too, never used it.

Homemaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Awesome ideas everyone!
Here is my list:
Mom and MIL-homemade aprons
http://www.jcarolinecreative.com/Merchant2/aproninstructions.html
Cousins and Brothers-Basket with Brandied Pears and something sweet (Sugar Cookies, Shortbread, Almond Bark, kettle corn) Except my cousin Tom who is diabetic. He gets pickled garlic with his pears. Gross sounding, I know, but, he loves garlic.
Grandparents-Picture of my daughter in a frame
My Aunt- Candle holder with homemade candles
My friend- a painting of koi fish.
Nieces and Nephews- I-spy bags and strap lap toys
http://rosie-baby-crafty.blogspot.com/2007/08/i-spy-bags.html
My Godson-
http://zitzmanfam.blogspot.com/2010/07/felt-fishing-set.html

My FIL is impossible to buy for. He's one of those "has it all" types and if you ask him he always says "just give me 2 dollars and a card" :) I haven't done that yet. But, every year when I'm racking my brains for an idea I'm tempted. Any ideas?

I would also love to make something for my husband but, I'm stuck on that one as well. We'll see what I come up with.

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You could do something fun with the "$2 and a card" request. I went to a Christmas party once where everyone had to bring a $5 gift. One guy taped $5 to a brick and wrapped it. Everyone thought it was cool!

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've been working on crocheted stocking ( beanie) caps, and cotton dish cloths..
I may also make some baked good..
I wonder if some of you would be interested in trading some of your items????

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This does take some time, but if the research is already done, it's not so bad. It is a family tree. The couple's names are at the top of the trunk, their children are listed below them on the trunk, their ancestors on the leaves.
familytree.jpg

familytreecloseup.jpg

It was fairly inexpensive, you can get nice frames with store coupons, or recycle used ones. If you have a frame with no glass, the cheapest glass can be cut for you at a hardware store instead of a framing store.
I used my computer to print the names on colored paper and cut out the leaves and trunk shapes. I cut out additional brown paper for the branches, glued it all onto mat board. I did use vinyl letters for the large family name, but if you have nice handwriting, you could do the lettering by hand.

Latest posts