Share your ideas for Holiday Gifts!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Now that is really neat. My brother has our family tree done. I wonder how big the tree would have to be?

Tamlynn, is that the main family on the trunk? With the married couple on each side and then extended family in the branches? Just thinking how I could adapt for my mil. She has 3 kids and we have kids. Maybe put her on the trunk and my dh and his siblings and our children on the branches?

g

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes, you could put the family lines opposite of what I did. Mine was for a couple with young children. So you could put your mil on the trunk, with each of her children with their spouses on each branch, and her granchildren as the farthest leaves.

You can really make it any size you want. Your tree may be a different shape doing descendants, because your mil's tree would have 3 branches for her 3 children.

You could also put small pictures of each person on the tree.

Rhettsgreygal

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
At one time I thought of doing that for my family tree, but it got out of hand. My dad was one of 12 kids; my mom was one of 13 kids. I worked on my dad's side of the family genealogy and there were 12 kids in my grandfather's family, 10 kids in my great-grandfather's family and 3 that I know of in my great-great-grandfather's family. When I planned a family reunion on my dad's side, I printed out the entire family tree and it circled the inside of a room (that held 300+ people) 3 times. I can't wait till I finally find a permanent job so I can relax and actually work on the tree again.

Annette

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Annette, that is quite the family!

Here is another project I did recently:

thymemarker.jpg

basilmarker.jpg

Herb garden markers. These aren't my best ones, I got better as I made more. I bought old silverware at thrift shops- real silver looks best I think. I bought the alphabet stamps at a Harbor Freight. The stamps are not great quality, but only $5, so I bought 2 sets. http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?category=&q=letter+stamps

You can certainly find higher quality stamps for more $$$ at other places.

After stamping the word, color in the letters with a Sharpie marker and wipe off the excess marker. Easy!

My kids made necklaces with stamped metal washers. Very cute.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Heck that stamped metal is awesome. I have all kinds of ides rolling around in my head now. :barnie

So for the tree did you draw that free hand?

g

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Glad you all like it! The kids and I spent a couple of days stamping when we first got the set. It was really fun.

Gina, I did have a pattern, but I changed it anyway. The one I did is symmetric, but it doesn't have to be.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Last year I made my 13 year old grandson a journal box. (FarmerChick gave me the idea). I found a nice box on sale at Target. The journal was on sale at the book store. I sat down at my computer and started a list of questions. 365 to be exact.

Things like: What did you do today? Did you get into any trouble? Have you ever had a friend hurt your feelings and how do you feel about it now...Today? Who is your best friend and why?

Just any question that popped into my head. I printed out all the questions, cut them into individual strips, folded them up and dropped them into the box. His instructions were to draw a question out daily and answer it in his journal.

He loved it. I also included a drawing pad and pencils in his box as he loves to draw.

BethieofVA

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
tamlynn said:
Annette, that is quite the family!

Here is another project I did recently:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/Tamlynn/thymemarker.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/Tamlynn/basilmarker.jpg

Herb garden markers. These aren't my best ones, I got better as I made more. I bought old silverware at thrift shops- real silver looks best I think. I bought the alphabet stamps at a Harbor Freight. The stamps are not great quality, but only $5, so I bought 2 sets. http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?category=&q=letter+stamps

You can certainly find higher quality stamps for more $$$ at other places.

After stamping the word, color in the letters with a Sharpie marker and wipe off the excess marker. Easy!

My kids made necklaces with stamped metal washers. Very cute.
Did you flatten the spoon first a bit? I love these!!!

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes, I flattened the spoon first. I also learned that some silverware handles are hollow- those needed to be hammered flat too.

Oh, also. Don't hammer them on your concrete garage floor. You will damage the concrete. I used (eventually) the hammering surface on an anvil, with the utensil taped down.

Latest posts