Share your ideas for Holiday Gifts!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I will be making the Chili boxes again this year. They went over better than anything I have ever done.

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/foodgiftsoup/new-years-day-chili-mix.html

Everyone seems to have loved them and most have asked if I am doing them again this year. I added a Mexican Corn Bread mix that I picked up at the grocery store and picked up covered holiday conainers, metal and plastic at the Dollar Store.

I will probably throw in a jar of preserves as an added bonus.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
First - I'm so sorry to hear of those who have non-supportive family that snub your homemade gifts. That must feel terrible. I'd love to have your homemade soaps, baked or canned items, crafts, etc.

2dream said:
I will be making the Chili boxes again this year. They went over better than anything I have ever done.

Everyone seems to have loved them and most have asked if I am doing them again this year. I added a Mexican Corn Bread mix that I picked up at the grocery store and picked up covered holiday conainers, metal and plastic at the Dollar Store.

I really like that one. I could even throw in a pound of our grass fed beef. My step dad would really enjoy that, and he has everthing so is hard to buy for.

I make a lot of gift baskets for "larger" gifts. I try to be creative. Some examples are

- pasta "basket" packed in a colander with pastas, quart jar of homemade sauce, herbs from the garden

- bar "basket" packed in an ice bucket with a jig, a small ice scoop, shotglass or two, ice tongs, and a drink strainer.

- bath baskets with homemade soaps and lotion, bath puff, bath salts, nailbrush, etc

- fruit baskets - last year a fellow farmers market vendor went to FL and brought back incredible fresh citrus from an orchard. I assembled gift baskets of fresh fruit and added a jar of homecanned mixed citrus & pineapple and fresh pecans from our own trees.

- cookie and candy tins - everybody loves these, usually 4 or 5 varieties of cookies (about 1/2 dozen each) homemade fudge or truffle balls, maybe some homemade glazed pecans.

I also like to make gifts in a jar - soup mixes, bean mixes, cake or cookie mixes. A quart jar with a layered mix looks really nice and I like to tie a small wooden spoon, little whisk, bottle opener or other small kitchen utensil to the jar with a gift tag.

and usually we have a box of jams/jellies or relishes to give as a small token to aunt/uncles, cousins, etc that we see at family gatherings.

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Kim_NC said:
First - I'm so sorry to hear of those who have non-supportive family that snub your homemade gifts. That must feel terrible. I'd love to have your homemade soaps, baked or canned items, crafts, etc.

2dream said:

I really like that one. I could even throw in a pound of our grass fed beef. My step dad would really enjoy that, and he has everthing so is hard to buy for.

I make a lot of gift baskets for "larger" gifts. I try to be creative. Some examples are

- pasta "basket" packed in a colander with pastas, quart jar of homemade sauce, herbs from the garden

- bar "basket" packed in an ice bucket with a jig, a small ice scoop, shotglass or two, ice tongs, and a drink strainer.

- bath baskets with homemade soaps and lotion, bath puff, bath salts, nailbrush, etc

- fruit baskets - last year a fellow farmers market vendor went to FL and brought back incredible fresh citrus from an orchard. I assembled gift baskets of fresh fruit and added a jar of homecanned mixed citrus & pineapple and fresh pecans from our own trees.

- cookie and candy tins - everybody loves these, usually 4 or 5 varieties of cookies (about 1/2 dozen each) homemade fudge or truffle balls, maybe some homemade glazed pecans.

I also like to make gifts in a jar - soup mixes, bean mixes, cake or cookie mixes. A quart jar with a layered mix looks really nice and I like to tie a small wooden spoon, little whisk, bottle opener or other small kitchen utensil to the jar with a gift tag.

and usually we have a box of jams/jellies or relishes to give as a small token to aunt/uncles, cousins, etc that we see at family gatherings.
These are really nice ideas. Thanks for sharing.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score

I did that for my dad one year. He looked at it for a second and said, not very enthusiastically "Huh. I guess I'm having spaghetti for dinner."

What a tool.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have decided to make goat milk fudge and put together a soup mix kit with beans, etc. I'm tired of trying to come up with things every time we are invited somewhere and feel like we need to bring something. Luckily family has done away with exchanging gifts except for the kids (our nieces and nephews).

Backwoods Home Magazine has an article on making gift baskets in their latest magazine. She even gives recipes for things to put into the basket.

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:

I did that for my dad one year. He looked at it for a second and said, not very enthusiastically "Huh. I guess I'm having spaghetti for dinner."

What a tool.
:yuckyuck

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Oh my gosh, I'd love to have some of you as family members!!! You all give wonderful gifts!!!

My family is pretty supportive and we're all pretty crafty, so we really appreciate handmade gifts! Although, I will say that 2 years ago I made everyone a trio of canned goods including apple jelly, apple butter, and pumpkin butter. My mom still has hers sitting on her bar counter, unopened. :lol: I may ask for them back one day. Although she is the kind to save something for a "special occasion" and never get around to using it. ;)

Last year I made homemade semolina pasta and gave it. Most people loved it.

This year I have my dad's SO as my gift recipient, so I'll probably knit her some mittens and a nice scarf and perhaps buy her some jewelry since she's one of "those people" that likes store bought gifts. :lol:

I think I might look into making some lip balm for the wimmins in the family, just for stocking stuffers. I'm going to make my DSD and my niece a knitted "crown" headband and a wand so they can play princesses.

And I'm not making it, but I'm going to buy DH a beer brewing kit. I think he'd enjoy that. I hope. :lol:

I need to find something I can knit DSS...he's 7. I'm not sure what knitted items 7 year old boys like. :lol:

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
Well, I'm not sure what to do for christmas. :/ I would cook, but I do that anyways. I would knit, but only a few of my friends would appreciate it. I was going to learn to knit baby booties for my SIL who is due in June but she said "I can just buy them and if I wanted something made I'd ask someone else." Thanks SIL! :rolleyes: Whatever. I guess I'm back down to gift cards since everyone wants you to spend your money on them and not your time. :tongue

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:

I need to find something I can knit DSS...he's 7. I'm not sure what knitted items 7 year old boys like. :lol:
A couple of years ago, my 7 year old son got a knitted cap from my aunt. He's got others, but it's the only one he wears. He likes it because it's long enough that he can cuff it to make a double layer, so keeps his ears warmer.