Sheeple?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I guess I'm going to have to get that time out bench I just saw on CL to put someone on if you can't behave! Now, fight nice and STOP TOUCHING ME!!!!!!!! :rant

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
I guess I'm going to have to get that time out bench I just saw on CL to put someone on if you can't behave! Now, fight nice and STOP TOUCHING ME!!!!!!!! :rant
I wasn't touching you...ewww who'd wanna touch you...I was just pointing at your face reaaaaalllllllyyyy close :p

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I never use it, because for some reason it is one of those words that gives me the heebie jeebies and just irks me to no end. Other words that give me that reaction include yummy, uber, and epic. I don't know why, I just can't stand em. :p

But when I hear the word sheeple, it usually has a negative connotation.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I don't use it because I think it's offensive. Who's to say that sometimes the common way of thinking about something isn't right? I just find the word very condescending.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Uber and yummy used to get on my nerves too, now I use them from time to time. I never use epic, or sheeple though. The kids got me using yummy, because their parents use it so much therefore they use it, then when they're here I use it :hu Uber is actually a word I added to my vocabulary to better express what I am trying to say. i thought it sounded UBER stupid the first time I heard it though :lol: Words don't really offend me. Certain ideas and personalities i often find offensive, but rarely a particular word triggers any sensitivity :hu Maybe i'm weird...er than I thought ;)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
moxies_chickennuggets said:
I apologize. I had no idea. I won't use it again.
Seriously, use it however you want! I think it's the context in which I often find it offensive. It's usually an "us versus them" as in "smart us" versus "stupid them." But perhaps I'm overthinking it :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Maybe it's all a matter of perspective.

If you were born different and an independent thinker, the herd out there(off this forum of many like-minded people) will trample you each and every day. You are criticized and singled out for ridicule by members of the herd just because you don't let your kids buy into the Santa brings Christmas thing or you don't buy Longaberger baskets or even see the necessity for paying $250 for the same basket you saw at Big Lots for $2. Or you buy all your clothes at Good Will, or your kids aren't sassing you in public or you don't drive a new car or don't think animals are equal to humans. If you have a big family or eat your own animals or don't vote(Heaven help us THAT is a hot spot!) or go to this church or that one, etc.

I could go on for days upon days how the "herd" tries to make you conform and makes you feel inferior because you won't. It happens here too but usually in the opposite way.

If you are one of the herd, then that term probably isn't going to hurt your feelings a bit~you are comfortable in the herd and you joined because you don't want to stand out for fear of what people will think. If you are in the herd somewhat but still think you are an individual with your own personality/values, then being called a sheeple is probably offensive.

At any given time we are all in a herd of some kind...like here on SS. The herd shifts and moves and not everyone is on the outside all the time, some are on the outside the majority of the time and some are straddling the fence for fear of being thought outside the herd, because we all know the dangers of being separate from the herd that is forming at that particular time.

But...if you ask anyone they will adamantly deny they are in a herd, ever have been in a herd and find it offensive that anyone could believe they were less than an incredibly individualized person marching to the beat of their own drum at all times.

Latest posts