shortages? thoughts?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had planned last winter on supplementing feed for the cattle and fowl with summer squash and zucchini. It's looking like the time is getting nearer, the squash are dieing back. I know there's a lot left to pick out of the garden. If there is one thing I can grow, it's zucchini and summer squash. It's very easy to grow and even easier to get out of hand 🙄 I just need to figure out a good way to chop them up on demand 🤔

I already know the cattle like both cut up zucchini & summer squash because I've fed them some already. I've fed the turkeys and chickens sliced summer squash and zucchini in the past before they seem to like it also they peck at it. Just not sure about the ducks, I may need to chop it fine for them or maybe ferment? Anyone have experience here, they could share?

IMG_20220823_212235156.jpg

Jesus is Lord and a Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I just cut the squash in half and let the chickens pick it out. They will get harder rinds for awhile and then feed any that start to get soft/rotten spots. They eat what they want,,, scratch the rest into oblivion.
TSC feed is higher cost and I don't like the quality near as much as Rural King. I buy most all mine from a local feed mill anyway... Fresh and supporting a local company.
Be careful of feeding chunks to cattle... they can get it stuck in their mouths/windpipe. I don't like to feed much garden produce to cattle unless it is something they would eat out in the field... grasses/hay/corn stalks etc.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We are still having bird flu cases here.

I dont buy eggs. Ravens must be getting expensive bribes if eggs have gone up. It's worth it to chase off the hawks. We've had a juvenile bald eagle hanging around lately as well they chase. His chirping gives him away.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just cut the squash in half and let the chickens pick it out. They will get harder rinds for awhile and then feed any that start to get soft/rotten spots. They eat what they want,,, scratch the rest into oblivion.
TSC feed is higher cost and I don't like the quality near as much as Rural King. I buy most all mine from a local feed mill anyway... Fresh and supporting a local company.
Be careful of feeding chunks to cattle... they can get it stuck in their mouths/windpipe. I don't like to feed much garden produce to cattle unless it is something they would eat out in the field... grasses/hay/corn stalks etc.
Thanks 👍 I looked for a gravity wagon over the summer, none could be found within a 100 mile radius 🙄 I would like to buy bulk feed, I just don't have anything to load it in.

Typical Gravity Wagon
Screenshot_20220823-224826~2.png

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Machete. That's what I use to chop squashes, turnips, melons, pumpkins, etc for the animals. Works really great on pumpkins in Fall. Whack and they pop open.

Also snakes and vines. 👍😁

Wish we had Rural King in my area. 🙄

Last edited:

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just paid $26 for a bag of Flock raiser here.

@CrealCritter I shredded zucchini here and feed to the chickens, they eat it right up. I freeze a bunch for them and freeze and then just take out what I need as I need it.

@tortoise They have the Organic Calley at our WalMart and it is regularly in stock. Maybe they dont stock it for your area because it isnt a big seller. Not sure how far you want to drive but it looks like a couple WalMarts in your area carry it too

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I'm having a heck of a time finding cream in WI. Organic Valley brand is the only brand I can have/get here (due to food additives in others). I think it has been 6 weeks sonce Ive seen it. I switched to half and half which doesnt have thickeners or diglycerides added.

Anyone else? IDK if I'm shopping the wrong days/times or if I should drive to a different city to find it
We are enjoying using the dehydrated cream powder

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
With all the canning stuff bought this year (as availability permitted), only saw a few quality issues. One case had wonky lids, like 6 of 12 didn't seal first time, 2 of those didn't seal after reprocessing. One case of quart jars had a single broken jar - huge pieces missing, but no broken glass in the sealed case itself. Very odd.

Have not been shopping routinely lately, so not certain of shortage levels. Wife went to a local store one day last week and said the chip aisle was empty. Freaked her out, but I suggested that since those sections are typically stocked by the vendor, it might be a timing issue (plus being a small minor chain store). The discount stores and major chains the next day were amply stocked.

Some of it may be attributed to staffing issues, I am guessing.