shortages? thoughts?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My problem around here is the Industrial Ag taking over.
The small dairy farmer is being shut down because the dairies don't want to deal with their smaller production amounts.

maybe they can find a cheesemaker or start a co-op with other small local dairy folks?

sometimes there is a way to work through such changes. at least i sure hope so.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One reason small farmers can't compete is "regulation compliance" that make even more expense for already small profit margins. Some storefronts would prefer to buy from a local source but between their regs and the farmers, they often can't.

Milk is an example. In all but a couple states, you cannot sell raw milk. In most of those, you can use raw from your own animal. Thus we have "herd shares", where you buy into ownership, pay a fee, use your own milk that farmer gets from a group owned animal, that's living on his farm. ๐Ÿ˜

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wild birds - typically waterfowl. Backyard keepers were told to keep flocks covered to protect from wild bird poo falling from the sky

i understand this for smaller backyard flocks and smaller operations but i was mainly wondering about the largest places that do chickens and many of them that i've seen are not exposed to the outside at all. the birds are kept confined completely inside so there shouldn't be any exposure to the birds outside unless someone is somehow transmitting the disease in on their shoes or clothes and that means they're not doing things properly for such a vulnerable population even after they've been warned that the disease is around.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ok guys....some analyists have decided there are five items/catagories that have the greatest percentage of increase and that MAY outprice many, if not become in shorter supply. ๐Ÿ™„

Many on here have these covered on their own farm....but here's the PSA for ya. Uh. Don't be drinking coffee as you read...๐Ÿ˜‚

1. Eggs
2. Dairy
3. Beef
4. Chicken
5. Oils

Personally, I've been giving away eggs for months. Extra chickens, well, yum.
I milk...so milk, cheeses, butter covered. Beef, I have a SS source to buy...Thanks! Oils I'm good...lots here as I make goat milk soap to use.

Barter. ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘. OBVIOUSLY these know it all's haven't been to a feed store. Now there's some increases to shout about!!๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ข

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Barter. ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘. OBVIOUSLY these know it all's haven't been to a feed store. Now there's some increases to shout about!!๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ข
I'm seeing people listing livestock for sale or trade for hay. And I'm not in western drought area ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

Looks like an opportunity to add to my flock. ๐Ÿค‘ gonna ask DH if we can put up extra hay for additions :D

I think eggs will come down somewhat as the avian flu soliloquy work through.

Produce is the most up now. Forecast for cooking oil is not good.

Dog food shortages still rolling. My dog's food was affected for a couple months. I was lucky, just switched brands, no biggie.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm having a heck of a time finding cream in WI. Organic Valley brand is the only brand I can have/get here (due to food additives in others). I think it has been 6 weeks sonce Ive seen it. I switched to half and half which doesnt have thickeners or diglycerides added.

Anyone else? IDK if I'm shopping the wrong days/times or if I should drive to a different city to find it

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
50 lb bagged feed prices are crazy. Pics from Rural King, last week Friday August 19th. I'm going to try Tractor Supply next feed run, I buy feed every two weeks. I was feeding the fowl all flock pellets 18%. But dropped down to layer pellets 16%. see pics and I think you'll understand why.

Livestock Commodity
IMG_20220819_203025292.jpg

Meatbird Crumbles 21%
IMG_20220819_202823059.jpg

All Flock Pellets 18%
IMG_20220819_202813486.jpg

Layer Pellets 16%
IMG_20220819_202840140.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ ๐Ÿ™โค๏ธ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ